Friday, 1 May 2009

Friday... May Day!!!!

This is the view from the "tree seat" with its umbrella branches sprouting from it and hanging right over to the ground.  There's a good view of the garden also, broad beans to the left and an assortment of baby brassicas in front.  In the bottom right hand corner is the thick mat of baby mustard plants that I mentioned the other day.

Back to the vegetables that are closest to the house...  this is the only part that I can use during the summer...   and this is where I can arrange bamboo and shadecloth protection  and  then handwater with a bucket.  Hopefully, I'll have enough water in the back fence tanks by next summer to use a hose and my new pump. 
That's the washing line down the pathway,  and beyond that are some perennial plants... asparagus and artichokes.  I am preparing to plant a fig tree down there soon.  I am waiting for the leaves to drop off the baby tree while it is in the pot.  Meanwhile I am preparing the soil and the hole for the tree.


Outside computing...
This is the outside spot where I can sit to blog when the weather is good.   The wireless connection works out there.  
Behind my chair, the pink painted iron shed is actually the chook's yard with big pepper trees behind it.  There is still a bale of pea straw beside the  chair and behind that is the potato patch.
It is theoretically too soon for potatoes, but after the past two seasons,  I am trying something new.  These are just coming up (after the last rain) and if the weather gets very cold in winter,  I'll cover the plants with straw and even an old sheet (from the second hand shop) if a frost is predicted.  The problem with trying to grow potatoes in the summer is that they need so much water.  It's easy to grow just a few,  but we need quite a lot.  Potatoes are the easiest carbohydrate to grow.  Other sources are more difficult for me and/or expensive to buy.



Now... into the back verandah (below.)  The dry wood is here, and a barrel growing herbs, ginger and one okra plant that is still producing.  This is also the clothes dryer during rainy weather. Those socks are my home made ones.  I enjoyed the stripey wool.  I hand wash these in the bathroom sink because they are made of wool and probably wouldn't survive the machine.  
I have been knitting socks when I am travelling (car, train) or watching a movie.  And it's amazing how much you can get done.  I think that a pair of socks takes about 10 hours.  At $10 per hour (my sewing price) that puts them out of the reach of most people, but it also indicates the reason that people used to mend socks in the days before buying 3 for $10 and throwing them out when they have a hole.   When you have that much labour invested (it's the equivalent of more than $100 per pair, remember) one's attitude to the resources involved might be different.  
I find it interesting that the only way to explain the value of my socks to people is to use $$$. When I explain it in terms of my time or effort,  several people have offered to pay me until I pointed out how much money would be involved.  I have offered to teach several people to knit socks too,  but no one has been very keen.

2 comments:

Fiona (posts by her mum and dad) said...

I want socks for my birthday...and you have to teach me to make them, I need serious knitting help.
Love
Louise

Jane said...

Ok.