Wednesday, 20 May 2009

Growing vegetables and future shock

The first person to teach me about growing vegetables was my grandmother.  
She was born in Switzerland in 1867, emigrated to Australia as a child.  The family came on a sailing ship called "The Herschel" leaving Hamburg in September of 1872 and arriving in Adelaide in January of 1873.  I can't imagine what they thought of the heat that January.  Bertha Hochuli grew up with a foster family on a farm near Hawker in the Flinders Ranges.  
This is how I remember her (below, right)   This photograph is taken with her sister.  She lived with us (my first family) until she died in 1966.  
She grew vegetables in our back yard, hatched baby chickens under an electric light in her bedroom, fed them warmed "mash" and rode her bicycle to the market to find "greenfeed" for the hens.  I fed the cabbage leaves into the chaff cutter for them while she turned the handle. She told me about planting particular vegetables when the moon was "upside down" or "right way up."  I wish that I'd listened more carefully.   I can look up those details on the internet now.  Bertha would never have imagined that.  In fact, she didn't even approve of aeroplanes.  "If we'd been meant to fly, god would have given us wings." Is that future shock? ("too much change in too short a period of time.")         http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Future_Shock



1 comment:

Fiona (posts by her mum and dad) said...

Now I'll have to make sure I haven't put the eggplant in during the wrong cycle.
I'm already worried about one of my tomato plants, I hope we don't get the blight for planting on the wrong phase.

Thanks for the pictures.
Love
Louise