Friday, 1 May 2009

Saturday

This is the kitchen scene last night.  When the washing is hard to get dry, and all else fails, it is hung around the fire as it dies down after dinner.  
A tale of two tails:  this green tailed chook is behaving decidedly like a rooster.  "He" attacks the others with his feet.  Females do that too,  but not at inappropriate times like this one.  I think he's looking more like soup every day.
The one with the funny hair do has an awful expression on "her" face too.  She looks like a grumpy old woman though I saw her hatch last December, making her just five months old.  
I think I put these photographs here in the wrong order, but never mind.  This is what you see (below)  when an artichoke plant is coming up after the first rain.  I found it when I was preparing the garden bed that is right down the back yard.   In fact it is the same one that is in the photograph on the header for this blog.  There were millions (yes, millions) of stinging nettles coming up and that's when I dig that patch up for planting.  There are a couple of perenial plants there (artichokes and asparagus) but plenty of space for a few more potatoes and garlic.  I will also plant my baby fig tree there soon.
Anyway, that is the baby artichoke plant and this (below) is the garden bed.  The chooks were watching me and waiting for sour sob bulbs that I threw to them.  There are at least half a dozen big artichoke plants about to spring up, so I'll plant the other stuff around them.
This artichoke (below) is the prickliest one I have ever seen.  That's why I never did move any of its offspring to the actual artichoke spot that I have just mentioned.  However,  this plant produces the biggest best artichokes that I have ever seen, and it is the first to come up this year as well.  It is quite near the clothes line and the lavender bushes there. In fact, seeing it as I hang the washing out the other day made me check the artichoke patch.
Every year when this prickly plant comes up I think of the artichokes that it produces, then as it gets larger and more intrusive I contemplate digging it out... until it produces so many beautiful flowers to eat.  Those prickles that you can see on every lobe of the leaves are as sharp as tacks and impossible to avoid when you are raiding the plant in spring.

No comments: