Friday, 22 May 2009

TGIF

I have just returned from the shop with a few groceries that we needed.  This is my usual shopping bag... from Hart's Fabric Store in Santa Cruz.  South Australia now has no disposable shopping bags as well as a 10c deposit on drink containers.  As long as you remember to take a shopping bag,  it's all ok.  There was a time years ago when bringing a shopping bag was essential, and it is coming back....  back to the future?  ...or on to the past?
For those who noticed, Fiona's painting is in the wall (rhs) behind the shopping.

The tank plan is happening slowly.  There are two 9000l tanks by the back fence now.  The one with the downpipes running into it has overflowed.  The next one is about to be hooked onto it. What's more,  if it overflows also,  there is enough space to put a third one "in front of" this new one... it would hide the back one in this photo.  Once these are both full,  that will make 27,000l total,  but I think I will need the fourth tank eventually.  Seeing a tank full of water and how quickly you can use it makes you much more aware of water conservation issues than when you can turnon a tap to gain access water from the Murray Darling system.
These tanks are high enough that I can gravity feed them into the "house tank" that will be plumbed into the house, though I also have a pump for the purpose.  I am not sure that electricity will always be as reliable as it is now, so I plan to have alternative options.  As soon as the house tank is plumbed into the house (via an electric pump) we will be dependent upon electricity even for water.  For that reason I am leaving the little green tank on the tankstand beside the house connected to the kitchen "special water" tap.  This is the third tap at the kitchen sink that has supplied rainwater for drinking and cooking...  in much of South Australia people don't drink the water that comes through the pipes.  It's ok for washing, showering and flushing the toilet,  but most people don't drink it.
A wierd thing that I saw today is this flower bud.  It's a broad bean plant that produces red flowers.  I planted a total of 12 seeds of this kind.  Only 6 have germinated.  Those have grown well,  but are flowering very early.  My usual broad beans (that have black and white flowers) don't flower until at least after the days begin to get longer.  There'll be no actual broad beans until the spring (at the same time as the artichokes) though the flowers should start earlier.  It needs to be above a certain temperature to actually set the beans.  These buds are a beautiful colour.  I don't know whether the different behaviour is due to the different "red breed" or whether it is because the seeds weren't grown here.  I bought them.  I'll be saving seeds from these to see what they do next year.

5 comments:

Fiona (posts by her mum and dad) said...

What about a little solar pump..the sun will keep shining?..

John L said...

Bring back the stringbag.

Fiona (posts by her mum and dad) said...

I love the bag. Almost kept it for myself.

Jane said...

It's my favourite shopping bag... you'll have to get one from Hart's....

Jane said...

String bags are good too.