Tuesday, 9 June 2009

Cauliflower recipes

I have three good cauliflower recipes. I have begun to think about these as the ones growing in the garden get bigger by the day.

1) For finely chopped cauliflower... if you have a "funny shaped" one!
 Heat some oil in a frying pan.  (I use olive oil, because it grows around here.)  Fry a teaspoon of mustard seed until it pops.  Add chopped cauliflower, and a little bit of salt, and stir fry for about 5 minutes.  This is good either hot or left over and cold.

2) For coarser chopped cauliflower... if it's gone yellow from the sun!
Fry cumin, chilli, mustard seed and tumeric in oil.  Add coarsely chopped cauliflower and some fresh peas if you have some.  (This is another recipe in which vegetables that happen to ripen at the same time are used together.)  Lower the heat, cover and cook gently for about 15 minutes Add a little bit of water if you need to...  to stop it sticking or getting too brown.  Cook it until the peas are ready.

3) For a perfect looking lovely cauliflower...  nowadays I grow the small ones,  just right for a smaller family!  I used to use the biggest ones I could get!
Steam the whole cauliflower in a big saucepan.  this takes about 15 to 20 minutes, depending on the size.  I use a spaghetti pot these days, but when my kids were little and I didn't have one I used a large cast iron casserole dish.  Set it aside in a casserole dish (lightly oiled) that you can cover and put in the oven (I have used a cast iron one or a ceramic one.)  
Now,  make about a pint of white (mornay) sauce (butter, flour and milk with pepper and salt) and add cheese to taste.  Now add crab meat or cooked prawns (for those who like fishy stuff; Louise would leave these out!)  pour the sauce over the cauliflower, cover and bake until it is heated through.  Good with bread and/or salad.  And if you used oil (instead of butter), soy milk and no fish,  it would be vegan!

2 comments:

Fiona (posts by her mum and dad) said...

Try it sauteed with a bit of sesame oil and garlic, yummmm.

Jane said...

I will. We'll soon be inundated with them, in a manner of speaking.