Thursday, 4 June 2009

Grey day

I heard the Bronzewing early this morning, before I got out of bed,  but I can't see it anywhere yet.  From the sound, it must have been on the opposite side of the house from where I saw it yesterday.   I have been out to check the garden.  It is very grey and damp out there.  
Some of the bulbs are about to flower.. jonquils and hyacinths.
On a grey day, the flowers of the vegetables are incredibly bright and the colours are brighter when the light is dim.  I wonder if it has something to do with the marginally visible spectrum and ultraviolet reflections for the bees and other pollinators.
This white flower is a typical brassica shape.  It is a chinese broccoli (kai lan)  but it won't get to produce seed yet.  We'll eat this in the next day or so.  It's necessary to plan meals around what is ready to eat out there.
Below is an ordinary broccoli flower , though I think it's a sprouting variety (a bit like the chinese one I suppose.)  Anyway this particular plant grew all through last summer (among the broad beans where I threw all of the old seeds that I had in the seed box) and with no supplementary watering.  It has proven to be such an incredibly hardy plant that I decided to let it go to seed and see how it's offspring are.  Besides, flowers like this are lovely in the winter.
And back to the few red flowering broad beans.  The continue to put all of their efforts into these flowers, though they are quite small plants and have been well and truly overtaken by the usua black and white flowering ones that don't even have any buds yet.  I am curious to see what kind of beans they produce, and whether the home grown seed from these might be better than these twelve seeds from a sale.

No comments: