Wednesday, 10 June 2009

Growing grain

Last year I grew some grain... wheat, and it actually produced quite a good crop for a small area,  however, as soon as it was ripe,  the birds were unbelievable... I don't think they missed a grain,  and all within about 20 minutes.  That's spoggies for you!
I have a new plan.
The roosters have gone to the "processor' and the aviary is empty.  It is quite close to the house and has a large area of ordianry Kapunda soil  (meaning clayish soil.) I have started digging and turning over any weeds that the rooster didn't eat.
It's about half done.  most of the weeds are stinging nettles.  There has usually been a crop of rocket (arugula) in there in past years, however the only rocket plants are in spots where the rooster couldn't get to them... I presume that roosters eat rocket seed.
I have turned over the weeds in the clay soil.  Once I have completed the patch,  I will spread gypsum over all...
The stinging nettles are growing thickly... but they will make good soil in the end. (Look at whatever you have as a resource.)
This is as far as I have reached.... the fork, the gypsum and more weeds....
Once the area is prepared,  I will plant some wheat (for sure) and perhaps some lentils....  just to see how each crop might fare.  Can't wait!  I'll keep you posted.

2 comments:

Fiona (posts by her mum and dad) said...

I've heard that quinoa is an great grain to grow the sparrows would be drooling through the bars.
Love
Louise

Jane said...

I can't wait to try a few things... barley is supposed to be the easiest!