Sunday, 26 July 2009

Gardening and a nectarine tree

I didn't have any commitments away from home today... unusual day! It's interesting that I was motivated to get up early and get lots done... unlike when I know that I have to be somewhere else!
I have done four loads of washing (and it should be close to dry now) and then planted another fruit tree. It's a nectarine tree. Ever since I was given some nectarines by a friend in Eudunda, and preserved some, I've intended to have a tree of my own. When you bottle (can, for my US friends) nectarines, they change colour and can look a bit the worse for wear. However they are just about my favourite canned fruit ever! They will never be a commercial proposition because they look strange when processed in the water bath... it's like they are cooked, but even more... they don't travel well either. I am aware that the commercial breeders have produced hybrids called "peacharines" that travel better, but they taste nothing like nectarines, so I think I'll stick to the originals.... nectarines.
And so I have planted a nectarine tree. this is one of the first trees that I've planted without a dead chicken. I don't kill the chickens, but it has been my theory that when chicken dies of natural causes, its a good thing to plant a tree on it when it is buried. I am having second thoughts. My chickens are all quite heathy, and should eventually die of old age... In fact, I find that they seem to die when life is stressful, in summer. This produces a predicament for me... fruit trees need to be planted in the winter when they are dormant. I have tried a few when chickens died, but the trees don't survive either. Last summer, in the very hot weather (two weeks around 45 degrees) a number of trees died. Some of those trees were three years old, so it was a very tough time... I'll replace them during the winter.
And so today I planted a nectarine tree...
I have also weeded the onions near the house (they don't like competition) and thinned the onion patch that is way down the back yard.
From the right...broad beans, coriander, garlic (hard to see) onions (now thinned) my stepping stones, potatoes, garlic and then artichokes. This garden is productive during the winter, but I can't supply enough water to maintain it during the summer (not enough tanks.) I find this depressing, and hard to deal with when each year I need to work on resurrecting it yet again....
I have several different garden beds during the winter... this will reduce in the summer. I paced them out today, and it appears that I have about 50 sq metres altogether... that will reduce to 15 sq m during the summer... all near to the house.
And I am so proud of my healthy garlic plants...

No comments: