Friday, 14 August 2009

The campervan and bandicooting potatoes

After months and months, the campervan is home again. For those "in the know," John and I went to Woodford last summer and on the way home, the head gasket blew near Gilgandra in New South Wales. It took time and money to get it back to South Australia, then to Kapunda, only to find that the head was wrecked and I needed to buy a new one.
Here it is dirty, but home again. I'm glad because I'll need it for next weekend and again later this month.
Right beside the van is this flower... it's a native hibiscus (no relation to the other hibiscusses) and the colour is wonderful... there are still a lot of buds too.... it should be looking good for quite a while.

Off to the garden, of course. It is warm today and feels like spring. At a climate change workshop, one of the speakers (Darren Ray, Senior Meteorologist at the Bureau in South Australia) pointed out that spring weather has been about two weeks early in recent years. Judging from the weather today and from the behaviour of the spring-breeding birds, it is true of this year also. Climate change is real around here. I wonder what the summer will bring this year.

I found this quirky vegetable in the vege patch... two cabbages on the same plant, like siamese twins. I have seen them produce several small ones after a main cabbage has been cut, but I've never seen a plant like this one. I suppose something might have damaged it some time ago, but it certainly is different. I'm sure it will taste ok... two for the price of one!
And nearby, a baby radish plant...
They certainly do germinate quickly. I planted these last weekend. I don't often grow radishes, but the seed packet was for an assortment of different coloured heritage varieties...
... this was the beautiful photograph from the seed catalogue....

Next, I went to get the vegetables for dinner. I have some lamb meat (from Menzel's, who also have the local abattoir in Kapunda) and needed some appropriate vegetables.... and here are potatoes, broccoli sprouts and a few beetroots (including leaves)... plenty for us and very fresh.
It isn't supposed to be potato season yet. These are the potatoes that grow in the garden near the house, the ones that I missed last year. When I was digging the garden for the new winter crops that we are eating currently, I found a few potatoes that were a bit the worse for wear after a summer in the ground. I buried them as I went, gave them a handful of "blood and bone" and some gypsum and watered them when I watered the baby brassicas.
Today I decided to bandicoot for potatoes to try to find some small ones to cook in their skins... but these are pretty good, bigger than I expected. There are 1lb and 11 oz altogether. That is 750 grams... not bad for a first raid.

1 comment:

Fiona (posts by her mum and dad) said...

I never thought of that...I'll have to bandicoot some of our blues...