Saturday, 8 August 2009

"new" stuff

This morning I left in time to get to a workshopping day for a" Transition Town" event that we are planning... it is going well, and the weekend event will be held in a couple of weeks... more later.
This afternoon we finished a bit earlier that I had anticipated. The next diary item was to be a gallery opening at the Barossa Regional Gallery at 5pm. I left and drove via Gomersal Rd, to Tanunda, arriving about half an hour early. I decided to check out the second hand shops for a bowl for the back verandah toilet. I have been checking out a number of second hand places regularly for the particular item that I want.... and at the second place that I checked, I found exactly what I'd planned....
The ideal bowl for the toilet in the back verandah (the only toilet) and it is great! It has taken me a while to find just what I wanted.
As I wandered around the second hand shop, I found another treasure.... or two...
.... two new irons. The big one is wonderful though the small one needs another handle (it's wobbly.) These are made somewhere in Scandinavia, from the markings on them, and are the first ones I've found with smooth bottoms. The super smooth bottom is the main requirement. The others have often been used as door stops or ornaments, and ruined. These are both really great. I love them, but I'd like another big one. Notice that they are significantly different in size... size 8 and size 4 according to the markings.
Tonight I have tried these out... heated them on the stove and ironed the handkerchiefs and serviettes that didn't get quite dry the other day and then I tried a shirt... all good!
Heating...
A few ironed items....
Ironing without electricity is so easy, finishes drying the damp clothes in winter and is such a good feeling... the stove (fuelled by wood that we collected at Black Joe's Road has cooked dinner, warmed the kitchen and dried the washing all with no further electric energy... how good is that!
I did make it to the opening (digital art, and interesting), but my new irons and the bowl for the back toilet are the highlights of the day... small things again!

2 comments:

Fiona (posts by her mum and dad) said...

glad that you found what you were looking for.
love
Louise

Jane said...

I'm just lucky!