Friday, 7 August 2009

Woodcutting

I cut some firewood when we arrived home the other day. It was hard work and I didn't get very much done. Yesterday (the first day that I'd had time) I took the chainsaw to the local sharpener (Ag Spares) and this morning, I went to pick it up. It looks cleaner and the bar is looking less burred and bashed, and the chain is like new!
Here is the chainsaw (below)... it used to belong to my father and the stopper (where the bar oil goes in) is his innovation. It is old and has had a few repairs and I get it sharpened every winter, and it works well. According to the man at Ag Spares, they don't make them like this any more, and it's worth keeping going. I like it. I suppose it's an heirloom!
And now that it's sharp, here is about 10 minutes worth of wood, from the "Black Joe's Road" collection. Behind the wheelbarrow, in the back verandah, you can see the big orange Vacola bottling pan, a plastic washing machine bin containing kindling, John's stained glass window, the "new " stove that has moved out of the kitchen (it will end up in the studio) and (as usual) socks hanging on the line. The louvre windows divide this area from the laundry.


Now the piece de resistance.... I received this photo via email this morning. Julie-Anne sent it to me. She has been growing food and herb plants in her garden in Toowong, and here is her first tomato! It is so exciting to get the first visible, tangible results from your efforts (or Ju's). I don't know about you, but this feels magical to me.
I


3 comments:

John L said...

Me too!

Fiona (posts by her mum and dad) said...

remember to check devon's pockets before he leaves your place the next time...he covets that thing...

Jane said...

Tell him that it's 240v and won't work there... hehe! I hope he doesn't invest in a transformer!