Monday, 14 September 2009

Beans and the "Wakefield Greens" meeting tonight

I am going to be away from home for a few weeks (from next week) and so I'm planning to plant a couple more things that should survive until I get back,  with minimal effort from John... it will actually depend upon the weather... I plan to plant some climbing beans here (where the climbing stuff is by the pink gal wall... and I need some bamboo stakes as well)...  beside the chook's yard.  In fact I plan to plant a couple of different kinds in order to see what will grow best.  The purple ones have done well here... scaret runners not so well (it's apparently too hot for them) and there are a couple of other climbers that I plan to try (lazy housewife and some "French beans")... and this is where they will go (below),  to get the morning sun,  but not too much heat in the day.  
I have cut back this wormwood in preparation.  This is the one that I am training to grow through the chickens" fence as wormwood repels lice.  It reminds me of a friend who gave me the piece of her plant to grow.  She has since died, but this reminds me of her,  and I doubt that she'd be worried about it being down behind the chooks house!
It's a beautiful plant,  if a bit lopsided now....
... but when I cut the pieces off it,  I stuck some of them in the ground... just along the chicken fence... and they have struck! all of them, apparently!
I put four pieces in the ground,  very close together,  and it appears that they have all worked!  It might be a very crowded spot in the future.

The cabbage (shown over the past few days) is now flowering well,  and I'm wnndering what might come of the seeds...  I'll save them no doubt!  if nothing else they can go into the next generation of "horta" plants.
And another brassica, it's gai lan (Chinese kale) is flowering also.  It looks much more like arugula, but then, they are all related.
Another plant that has been ready to flower for some time is this Japanese Broom bush.  Nick once grew a bonsai version of this, though I didn't see it flower.  I don't know how such bushy plants go as bonsai specimens.
It looks spectacular, the photo doesn't do it justice... perhaps I'll get out there early in the morning to show it in dimmer light.
And below are the sprouts of the two horta patches.  By the look of the second set of leaves here,  these are mustard seeds and a few other things...
... these, on the other hand, don't look like brassicas at all.  These look like lettuce!  We'll see... and we'll eat whatever they turn out to be.


We are off to a Greens branch meeting tonight... someone has to save the world!  and tomorrow is another day...

2 comments:

Fiona (posts by her mum and dad) said...

I'll have to get a bit from the shop to stick in the ground. we had our first rain last night...the plants have a bit of hope now.
Love
Louise

Fiona (posts by her mum and dad) said...

I'll have to get a bit from the shop to stick in the ground. we had our first rain last night...the plants have a bit of hope now.
Love
Louise