Sunday, 13 September 2009

Garden, and Beven's 65th birthday!

Out in the yard again this morning... and it is cooler,  but still dry and windy.  The blowflies are out in force and some plants are a little wilted,  though the ground in places is still quite cold and damp... like this potato patch.  This is the spot that I planted a couple of weeks ago,  and there are a few potatoes up.  I even gave these some blood and bone,  and I'll spray them with seasol before I leave for my trip... hoepfully we should get enough potatoes (with this patch,  another bigger one and some down the back yard) to last us through next year,  until it rains again.
This next photograph is one of the most exciting for me....  these two little shoots are asparagus.  I picked a little bit last year,  but this garden was "sterilised during the two weeks of 45 degree (about 115 F) weather  last summer.
Apparently at least one of these plants has survived.  I will watch for any more shoots around the place!  This year these will be well coated with straw!
This rosella (below) was watching me as I photographed the asparagus... and it was making contact calls.  We have big enough trees for galahs to breed here (a pair did last year)  so perhaps we have a pair of Adelaide rosellas also.
I collected the vegetables, despite the faact that we are going to Adelaide this afternoon (for a friend's 65th birthday event) an might not need much today.  This is another lesson learned from the garden.  It is necessary to pick whatever is ready whenever it is ready,  not just when you might want to.  Extra can always be frozen, bottled or, as a last resort given to the chickens to turn into eggs....  if you leave everything to go to seed,  then there'll be no more production.  It's important to see it from the point of view of the plants.  They need to reproduce and once the job is done,  they give up the ghost.  Anyway here it is....

  • four beetroots... with heaps of "tops" also
  • a large pile (one and a half pounds) of broccoli... all side shoots or sprouting broccoli today
  • two fennel bulbs (I picked the ones that were big and impinging on their neighbours
  • four leeks,  medium size
  • another handful of broad beans... even bigger
  • a small bunch of carrots, an experimental crop that worked well (I tried some mineral supplements)
  • a bunch of siberian kale, in water in the jug
  • and the chickens laid six eggs
Notice the woven wheat ornament that I bought yesterday at the festival.   These ornaments originate in England and they have a whole language that is associated with  their shape, colour, flowers included and so on....  mine has a blue ribbon (that matches my blue painted window sill nearby) which apparently means that I am "open minded"...who knows?
This afternoon, after watching the parade in Kapunda, we're off to a birthday party!

No comments: