Wednesday, 9 September 2009

Morning garden pictures

Every morning I go for a walk around the garden to see what is happening, what is ready to pick and what might need to be done... weeding, thinning, shading... often I do this with my coffee cup in hand... lately with my camera as well. This is the first principle of permaculture (observe and interact) and while it isn't a hard job to do, it is as important as any other.... By taking the time to engage with nature we can design solutions that suit our particular situation.
Today, this is what I found....
This is an artichoke plant with quite unusual leaves. Young plants always produce leaves like this, but by the 4th or 5th leaf they are usually deeply serrated and becoming a little bit prickly. Some are very prickly. This plant seems to be continuing with "baby" leaves. Perhaps this happens occasionally, but I haven't seen it previously. I'll watch to see how the production of actual artichokes is.... it might be the one to propagate next year (no prickles!)
I went to see the flowering cabbages (mentioned previously.) I am waiting to see what colour the flowers will be. I'm not certain yet, though the tiny bit that is poking out of the bud looks white, and from memory, the other cabbages that I've let flower were white also. In front of those is a volunteer silver beet (the red one) and then the coriander that I planted when the cauliflowers were finished... there are still a few kale plants and leeks too.... and my board for walking into the cabbage patch without squashing the soil.
More broccoli sprouts... the purple kind that people ate in ancient Rome.
... and this is my favourite silver beet plant. It is growing where I had added boron (for the beetroot) and I wonder whether that is why the chards are so fat. I also like the colour of this plant. I think I'll keep seed from this one eventually.
Weeds.... oxalis (sour sobs) were introduced as garden plants in colonial days... now they are everywere. Farmers use glyphosate to kill them before planting though they remain around the eges of paddocks near here. They will die off as soon as the rain stops, so I leave them except for where I hand pull them in the vegetable patches. They don't compete very well anyway... vegetables seem much tougher.
More introduced plants... animal fodder plants...
... and gazania daisies (introduced from South Africa.) I do pull these out as they can be very invasive. Eventually the woody stems are hard to manage. I'll pull these out soon (when I don't have coffee in my hand.)
This broccoli is just beginning to form the heads. I planted several seedlings from the local nursery. They are near the edge of the garden and right outside the kitchen window where John can easily find them while I'm away...
Bulbs that have gone "feral". There are a few different kinds of these, but this one I like.
Flags... these are irises that grow almost wild here. I have both purple and white ones. They are a definite indication of spring here!
The new of kurrajong pods (below) are opening. These trees produce millions of seeds every year and baby trees germinate all over the place. The seeds are edible. Aboriginal people in NSW (where these trees are native) apparently ground the seeds into a flour. I havven't tried them yet, but I will. Meanwhile they sustain a population of rats that live in the yard. I have seen the rats running out on tree branches on a moonlight night... We have a large population of possums and parrots that must make use of them also.


1 comment:

Fiona (posts by her mum and dad) said...

I'll wait for my kurrajong meal pizza to be delivered to santa cruz.
:)
Louise