Wednesday, 2 September 2009

Warm north wind... perfumed air.

I didn't get up very early this morning... never mind, it was so warm and lovely when I went outside... and it smells like perfume out there. There are so many different flowers and fruit blossoms that it's hard to identify any particular scent.
Once again, one of my favourites... the moroon and yellow calendula... they are everywhere now. The first ones were such a thrill... but now they're easy to overlook amongst the edibles.
The bees don't miss a trick. I did see some native bees as well. It's a pity that they are so easily trapped in some of the imported plants...
... and a blow fly. It must be nearly summer! At this time of year they arrive on the north wind, though we'll be breeding our own soon enough.

The picture below shows the seeds that are growing on the broccoli plant that survived last summer. I wasn't sure whether it would produce any so soon... it has been flowering for quite a few weeks, but obviously it is also warm enough to set seed.... the bumps in the seed pods are the seeds for next year. I might even try some after Christmas. That's the best time to plant seeds so that we'll eat next winter. You need to plan ahead and be optimistic, planting early and often to make sure that there are no "hungry gaps."

I dropped in to the studio (it is in the yard, at the back of the shed) to see how my painting is going.... half way there.... it has to go to Peterborough next month, so I'll need to get on with it!

The sewing machines (below) are all there now also.

On the left are the two overlocking machines... one four thread and one five thread. On the left are two straight sewers... one single needle and one twin needle. These are the machines that I have used in the past to sew fireproof race suits. Nowadays, we can't compete with the price of suits from China. (They are able to sell their suits here for the cost of fabric for us!) I do use the machines for sewing "normal" stuff, and also occasionally sew for other people. I charge $10 per hour for my labour, and once again, that makes clothing too expensive compared with the "disposable" stuff in the shopping malls.
It is the same as knitting socks. I knit for myself, but at $10 per hour, no one can afford my socks. It's better to teach people to knit socks for themselves anyway!
It is good to be able to make or provide most of what we need. It gives you a feeling of security, especially when one's income is a pension.

2 comments:

Fiona (posts by her mum and dad) said...

I love my socks...give a person a pair of socks and she will have socks for a while; teach her to make them and she will have socks forever....
Love
Louise

Jane said...

I'm glad you like the socks. I hope they aren't prickly. They get less so once they are washed.

Yes, it's just like fishing... and teaching people to fish.
Perhaps we should all be teaching people to grow food too.