Sunday, 22 November 2009

28mm of rain!


First thing this morning I went out to see how the new baby plants had coped with their  night alone with the earwigs... they all seemed fine.  The rain guage had another 28mm (!!!) in it, and that's a record for a November day apparently.  I had heard it raining in the night and imagined another 6 or 10mm... but this was wonderful.  The "house" tank overflowed again!



As I looked around amongst the plants that had gone to seed I found a few ladybirds...  I hope there are a few aphids for them to eat...  I don't want them wandering off to the neighbour's place.



And there are a few different kinds of seeds to collect (aside from the broad beans that are sitting in a bucket drying out.)  Here are Russian kale....



... silver beet....



... mustard...


... and on I went around the yard looking to see how it was after the rain.... lots of weeds, of course,  but here is my tree stump seat...  with periwinkle growing over it (this will only survive a few more weeks until the weather is hot for the summer...)


and kurrajong flowers....  (bees love these, and sometimes the whole tree hums)


... flowers on an emu bush....  (the honeyeaters love these)...



... a different kind of saltbush fruit... very tiny and very sweet...



...my prickly (but very productive) artichoke that also produced mature flowers while I was away.  There are several large flowers and I might just leave them as they are very beautiful.  Perhaps I could cut and bring these inside eventually.

 and more cactus flowers...




If you look carefully here you can still see the trickle down the side of the tank... it's completely full!  I do need to put a proper downpipe on this tank,  but what a thrill to hear the water running out of this in the night!



Now,  this is the yard that is at the back of my house....  it looks like a goat yard to me!  (It has previously had a pony in it... long before I lived here,  but I keep imagining a goat in there.)  Mmmmm...



3 comments:

Fiona (posts by her mum and dad) said...

hi jane there was a bit on the radio about eating prickly pear cactus...do you have that in your garden? google "Nopales" and I'll try to find something to forward too.

Love
louise
PS congrats on the rain..

Jane said...

I have eaten them, and they grow near here... on the side of the road to Gawler(!) and around Angle Vale. I don't have them in my actual yard (despite such a lot of other cactuses)... perhaps I'd better take a cutting.

Jane said...

I should add that I've eaten the fruit, but not the "leaves"... I'll try to collect some asap... it's spring and there are new bits on all of the cactuses now.