Wednesday, 4 November 2009

Monday

It has been a long day with news of everything from heatwaves, rain and minimal water at home.  I will be returning to quite a lot of work next week.
It has been good to have a some time away and see some things in perspective,  from vegetable production,  the economy and its political implications and what I need to do next.  I have been fairly busy, between babysitting and tourist trips, but I have done a little bit of drawing and some reading also.
Currently I am reading the first part of "In Search of Lost Time" by Marcel Proust.  The translation that I'm reading is a new one by a woman (Lydia Davis) and I think it is much better than the older one that  I'd tried to read in the past.... and found fairly hard to read.   It is "Swann's Way"and includes amazing descriptions of French Village life as viewed by a strange young boy who must have been much like Proust himself.
I was led to read that by another book,  "How Proust Can Change Your Life" by Alain de Botton whose writing I always enjoy.  It has been very self indulgent to read whatever I want (as opposed to Council agenda papers or Greens policy documents) when it suits me.
These last few days in Santa Cruz (for I leave next weekend) will be spent catching up with several friends that I want to see... and then on to Brisbane and then Adelaide and home.

No comments: