Friday, 20 November 2009

Optimism

I have finished all of my daily errands and opted out of the evening trip to Adelaide (for the Gouger St event for the Classic Adelaide) and I've been back out in the garden cleaning up grass and rubbish that could be a fire hazard.
I decided to collect the broad bean seeds.  These look pretty ordinary when they dry out in the sun.  I usually collect them later than this,  but this year the plants have died off early in the heat...
 
These are the seeds from the ordinary white flowered plants and the ones that we normally eat...


I did get a few seeds from the red flowering ones also.  These didn't produce as prolifically as the others, but I liked the plants and there were a few seeds.  The pods that I found looked suspiciously chewed by small teeth (rats? mice?)  However,  I found these few...



This bucket (below) is full of the seed for next year's crop.
While I was picking these, I had a strange yet optimistic feeling that it was such a good thing to be collecting seed for next year, despite this season.  
I wondered about farmers from  years ago,  when people must have collected seed or retained it from the crop,  for the following year, despite disastrous seasons.  This is surely one of the most clear and physical demonstrations of optimism that one could imagine.

This is the bucket of pods that still need to be completely dried out and shucked to supply my seeds for the broad bean crop next year.  These will be planted after the summer when it rains again...  maybe June or July.


Under the shadecloth, my baby plants...

....having such tiny plants at this time of the year is tricky...  apart from the lack of water,  there are earwigs!

No comments: