Monday, 30 November 2009

Renewal...



The garden has been a bit depressing lately,  after the hot dry weather and my absence,  but I have been back at dealing with the resurrection and here it is....  Chinese greens... obviously brassicas,  and germinating as we watch...

... okra, beginning to grow....



... a sunflower seed with it's seed coat still attached...


... and one of the more wondrous plants... this is a zucchini plant,  having had the top eaten off by earwigs, but hanging in there, and producing new leaves....



... a leek flower (must be November!)....



... and an artichoke flower.

This is another artichole flower that is no open yet... see the tiny purple petals inside the flower... how amazing is this!



On my way around the garden today,  I found this plant trying its best to grow... it had lost all of its leaves,  but after this last half an inch of rain, there is action... tiny leaves all over the place...



...and these are the tiny leaves that have appeared on the plant since the rain!



.. and melaleuca flowers....  the rain (even a tiny amount) is so good!



This is the big kurrajong tree that is near the house.  It is on the northern side of the house and so is quite problem during the winter... it shades the water heater!   The bits and pieces that are in the tree were built by a series of my children....  and so I have a tree house...  made of wood and iron and rather primitive,   but a tree house, nevertheless.... with a ladder for access...

Parts of it may need to go before next winter... in order that we have hot water during the colder months!

I love this flower... a climbing rose that I planted a couple of years ago...  it has survived, and produces beautiful flowers (single petal arrangement) even when the weather is at its worst!   One of my favourites...



... and of course the jasmine... this was planted long before I lived here... it is right beside the outdoor toilet (that is no longer connected to the sewer) and I imagine that the perfume was supposed to camouflage the odour of that toilet...  
Do we even have to think of these issues these days?  Many people buy chemical sprays from the store to de-odorise the toilet that flushes any trace of biological material away... how remote, or disassociated,  can we become from the real world?

4 comments:

Fiona (posts by her mum and dad) said...

All those leaves despite the heat...inspiring. sorry to have kept you from your garden for october but it sure was good to have you here with us.
Love
Louise

pserean said...

hi there...loved that artichoke flower of yours...may i please put the picture up on my blog?
ill copyright you...?

Jane said...

Hi Pserean,
I am happy for you to use my photograph. I'd like my blog to be acknowledged please. I enjoy your writing very much.

Jane

Anonymous said...

Hey there Jane,

So glad you popped by :) I'll definitely acknowledge the blog...
*Thank you*

http://developingdivorcee.blogspot.com/2011/03/feminine-wilds.html

Hope it's alright?
X

Pserean