Sunday, 27 December 2009

Cactus flowers

I have been outside watering the vegetables.   It has been above 30C today and should b higher for the next few days,  so I wanted to be "ahead of the game" as they say.
The perfume from flowers just coming out was overwhelming...

...  these are the shite cactus flowers,  of which I have a couple of different kinds... these are near the back door.  It is getting dark, and so it's hard to photograph them.   I am sure that they must be irridescent in the dark... to the moths that are supposed to fertilise the fruits...

... they are beautiful.
I went to see if any of the other kinds are flowering as well...

...  a pale purple one,

... buds on the red one,

... and in the dark,  a single white flower (bigger than the others) and growing on the biggest cactus plants that I have...  this one,  the photo taken some time ago...

Cactus flowers are beautiful.

No comments: