Sunday, 13 December 2009

Garden clearing, vegetables and kurrajongs' and violence in Copenhagen.

THERE IS NO PLANET B
I have been outside cleaning pathways and moving dried grass again.  In fact,  I haven't done as much as I'd intended today,  but I'm sure it will keep.
This is the part that I did the other day and if you look carefully,  you'll see that the melaleuca is completely gone.  I had asked John and Andrew to cut it down,  and when I arrived home from the "walk against warming" yesterday,  it was gone.  (It will provide some mulch and some fire wood.)
It looks different down there now,  but it has been done in order to allow another shrub to grow...

... and this is a baby pomegranate "tree" that has been strggling in competition with the melaleuca for some time.  While I liked the native bush,  the pomegranate will eventually add to the food supply of the household, and that is a significant consideration nowadays.


I didn't get a lot done today.  I am still tired from my big day out yesterday.  I still need to mulch the pomegranate and a few other uncovered plants (the lavenders and bushes right down the back yard) but I did clean up some more of the pathways around the end of the garden.   This is relatively urgent as the temperature should reach 39C at least during next week.
The self sewn gum tree (trunk shows here) makes a shady spot for my chair where I can sit and rehydate while checking out my handiwork...

.. and from the chair in the shade,  I can overlook the lavenders and the prickly artichoke towards the other big trees near the back of the house.


As is my usual procedure,  I walked around the house to see what else needs doing (plenty) and decide on priorities.  This is the pathway beside the house...  it goes past the "house" tank and the pump,  and on down to the front of the house.  This pathway will be my next angle of attack,  so to speak.


A beautiful cactus flower....


... a row of jicama plants...



... the thickest patch of kipfler potatoes that I've seen for some time. These seem to love the soapy dishwater and I wonder whether the earwigs don't like the soap!  I seem to be winning against them right here and that is the only change in conditions that I can think of.


On around the house...  and as I passed under the big kurrajong tree in front of the hosue,  the noise of the bees was incredible.  A loud humming...  nonstop...
... the flowers are quite small, but they are seemingly irresistable to bees and honeyeaters...


... and the sprays of flowers are only coming out now.... there are plenty of full-blown flowers, but even more buds ready to open.


This is the tree with the concrete buddha beside it,  and the prayer flags.  These were the subject of an expressionist painting done some time ago,  for a invitational exhibition... Nick's buddha...


... and the painting...


It is still hard to see the size of the tree...

... but it is enormous and there are a few of them in the yard...  at least six.  With all of those flowers and all of those bees,  the noise is quite something.  The trees produce pods that contain seeds that can be ground up for flour, apparently, though I've never tried them.
Here are some of last season's pods on the ground...

... there are very many of them.  During the winter, when the pods are full of edible seeds,  one can see rats running out along the branches of the trees,  raiding the free food supply.  We don't have rats inside the house (we do have mice, intermittently) but I can't imagine how one could ever get rid of them from the neighbourhood with all of these facilities available to them.  They're a bit like rabbits!  Everywhere!

Meanwhile there has been violence in Copenhagen at the conference that is supposed to be negotiating a solution to the rapid increase in carbon emissions that is happening as the politicians fiddle.  The violence has been blamed on anti-capitalists, and I am sure that there are many people, including myself, who blame the exponential growth that is promoted by capitalists for a significant part of the problem.  I also suspect that admission of their anti-capitalist stance is sufficient reason to attack them anyway at a conference that is being run by, for and for the benefit of capitalist politicians and corporations...  non-capitalists can't expect much else.
Even Greenpeace through its leader has been quoted as saying...
"if we can't change the science, we have to change the politics, and if we can't change the politics, we have to change the politicians"
... this is seen by many people as a political problem.
There does seem to be some concern among delegations as well,  that negotiations are not going well and that results do not appear to be achievable by the end of the week when the plenary session (with pre-prepared speeches by political leaders) will take place.  There must be some apprehension about the political outcomes.
"The leaders of the negotiations were painfully aware of the bitter disappointment and political consequences if the talks failed, after expectations had been raised so high around the world."
The political price for a lack of achievement at the conference in Copenhagen will be large, and so far, I am not at all optimistic about an adequate outcome.
Perhaps it is this lack of optimism that has driven so many people to demonstrate their concern...  from Mary Robinson and Desmond Tutu at a Copenhagen vigil to Walkers against Warming all over the world and even those anti-capitalists who have been arrested.  The disempowered people of the planet are becoming desperate. 
As I read on one placard...  and this seems to put it into some perspective....
THERE IS NO PLANET B

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well said. Let's hope that something significant comes out of Copenhagen because there is NO PLANET B!!

Tim Pearse