Tuesday, 8 December 2009

Kapunda garden

This topic seems to have been left behind in recent weeks.  Hopefully,  things are "back to normal"  now though and I'll have time to get on with my garden work... not that I haven't enjoyed the diversions... it's just that it's hard to keep up with everything sometimes!

I arrived home at about midnight last night. As I went to bed,  there was light rain beginning to fall.  During the night a heard water running into the tank.  John checked the rain guage this morning and we have had 13.5mm (about half an inch) overnight, making the total (so far) for 2009 more than 500mm (19.5 inches) for the year... and that is more than our average rainfall!  and much more than recent years.

Everywhere I look there is work to be done.  The pathway that leads to the garden right down the backyard (where I grow extra vegetables during the winter) is so overgrown with grass that has gone to seed that it's hard to walk there without filling your socks with grass seeds!  It looks a lot like mulch to me....  and  a lot of work.

I think I'll be raking it up and piling it on the artichoke patch so that the soil is not sterilised this summer.  Lots to do!

Back to the new vegetable plot... where I had replanted after the last spate of forty something days...  some of the new plants (as I have shown previously) have suffered earwig attack.

This little plant (below) is a yam bean.  In fact I call it a jicama (that's what I know it as.)  They have taken a little bit longer to emerge (than the sunflowers, chinese vegetables, silver beet and okra) and in a while I'll need to provide them sith some climbing frames.


The okra has is obviously tasty to earwigs too,  but I'll start some more inside now and plant them out later... I have a few more seeds!  This one might survive yet though... we'll see there are a couple that have still got the growing tip intact,  and a bit of seasol might do the trick!



The tomatoes are growing well now.  They looked a bit ill after the last hot weather,  and they had flowered, though the forty degree weather means that they won't set any fruit.  A couple of weeks ago,  I  picked the flowers off, gave them some nitrogen (produces leaves, not flowers) and some seasol (multi-vitamins for vegetables) and they are doing better now,  if a bit "immature" for their age.  

I always have to look at it from the point of view of the plants and if they are sick, they need some plant style TLC.
There are a few more things to plant now too... more of that later.