Thursday, 31 December 2009

New Year's Eve and a Blue Moon! (with later added photos)

Only six hours to go, and we'll be welcoming the new year and the new decade.
I have been outside to uncover the vegetables... it's under 40C now and the sun is hidden behind huge thunder clouds.  It's been rumbling a bit and there are three fires that have been started by lightning around the city,  only one of them near to us.  The clouds are looking ominous,  but we aren't expecting any rain....


... and this shows the "tomatoes' eye view...

The tomatoes are setting fruit now (despite the weather) and while I know  that it's late,  things are all a bit delayed for my garden this year (after being away and then the wierd weather) but even that has been a good lesson in not "dropping one's bundle" when things don't go according to plan!

As soon as the sun goes down (that should be at about half past eight tonight)  we will move out to the front verandah to wait for the new year.

Here is Jess trying out the spot, no doubt hoping for someone to throw the ball for her!   She's hot and has been panting whenever she's not drinking water,  all day.  I will sweep the dust, leaves and kurrajong flowers off the chairs, table and the slate before then.

The kurrajong trees are producing the new crop of pods...  I can imagine the rats salivating already!   I went for a quick walk around the yard to see how it is all surviving...  I climbed up onto my tree stump seat to see how the cactuses there are doing...  this is the "goat shed" in the background.  I don't often see it from this angle.  I don't have a goat yet either,  but eventually I will (and goat cheese!)

While standing up there I saw the latest sparrow nest...

They always nest amongst the prickly foliage of the succulent plant there.  They eat plenty of earwigs,  so I don't worry too much about them,  despite the  fact that they are feral and considered a pest.

Quite  a few plants are looking a bit the worse for wear,  but the jasmine continues to flower...

HAPPY NEW YEAR everyone and I hope that 2010 is all that you hope,
and that you are able to keep all of your resolutions...
a whole other subject!
and welcome to the Blue Moon

Ed.  added later...
.... and here is the table set for dinner (computer as well, of course) and the food covered with a cloth to keep the flies at bay!  The last of the sunlight is shining on the wall behind... about 8:30pm.



The setting sun, and the rising blue moon... within a few minutes of each other.... 


No comments: