Friday, 18 December 2009

Roses

Yesterday I went to Nuriootpa where I attended a meeting of Carer's Link.  As the board had recently approved the purchase of new premises, I went on an inspection tour.  The garden has rose bushes and I picked some of those that had usrvived the recent hot weather...





... and here they are on the mantel piece in the living room.
The garden continues to grow and is looking as though it will be much more productive after Christmas.  My several weeks away and the hot weather has put things a  bit behind schedule,  but never mind.  Better late than never.
The potatoes are flowering...

and the birds are eating mulberries...

... and the photograph is of unripe fruit because the birds eat them before they get any darker than this!  Mulberries were a common tree in gardens here in the past because they survive with little care, and more importantly,  little water.  Date palms and mulberry trees are often all that remains of old gardens when a farmhouse is deserted and falling down.
The following photograph is interesting.  It is the same view as the header for the blog,  though the photograph with squash and corn was taken before the current drought (now about five years old) was underway.   The dried grass is spread over it to prevent the soil from becoming too hot during the next few months.

 I used to have these vegetables growing down there until well after Christmas.  Nowadays, that part is mainly for winter crops.
I can sit down there... since I have cleaned much of the dead grass away....

... and this is the corner where I have been resting between bouts of weeding and clearing.
As I came back up to the front of the hosue I noticed the sun shining on the thorns of the cactuses...

.. not very inviting though birds do nest among these.  And then in the other direction, the concrete buddha watching the front verandah...

... and from the other direction...  our view of the buddha and the tree.


As I've been listening to the Copenhagen conference and feeling less and less confident about the results,   my solution is to continue growing vegetables and caring for my little acre.

1 comment:

Fiona (posts by her mum and dad) said...

With beautiful roses I hope the place passed inspection...my tea rose has a few flowers in the middle of winter...a lovely surprise.