Saturday, 9 January 2010

Busy Saturday, overheated car.

Before I add any "Saturday stuff" i need to add my drawing for yesterday.  The lack of time and the really wierd weather are making it hard,  but, having said that I'll make a drawing at least daily.  I am determined to do it... tricky!  Yesterday I sat at the kitchen table and chose the closest foody item....

... three tomatoes in a bowl.  But I was feeling miserable and it was hard.  It is interesting to see how my mood can alter my drawings.  This may be more interesting than I thought...  (daily drawing, that is)...

Today I went to the Barossa market as I don't have enough "leafy green" vegetables for us at the moment.  I bought kale, eggplants, avocados, peaches and plums, heaps of basil  and some garlic.  On the way home I went to help with a "working bee" at the new premises that Carer's Link has bought.  I didn't have to do much of the serious yard work.  I did get some garlic clumps that had been growing there though... huge clumps of sweet tasting garlic that I included in our dinner this evening.  I'll keep a little bit for planting. At the house,  I was delegated to deal with the household stuff that was for sale.  It all went well,   and I left at about 11:00 am as the temperature was getting over 40C  (about 105F.)  I think everyone left soon after.  Days end early in this weather.

All went well,  until I was on the road home and the car began to overheat.  Eventually,  travelling at about 50-60 kph,  and watching the guage go into the "hot" region,  I decided to stop and cool it down a bit.  Here's the spot....

... notice that I picked a place with trees and some shade.  It's near the Nuriootpa sign on the Truro road for anyone who knows the area...

I sat under the tree, waiting to be able to take the top off of the radiator.  The view behind was of a huge vineyard... one of the investment properties that exist all over the Barossa.  

This is the infrastructure behind the overproduction of wine in recent years.  This particular is rumoured to be owned by a retirement fund from California.  They rent the land from a local farmer,  plant acres of grape vines,  irrigate (unlike many Barossa vinyards) and when the soil is ruined (salty and empoverished)  they leave and someone has to remediate the soil...  there is a lot of this about.  The current glut of grapes, juice and wine only adds to the local small producers' problems.... but that's another story.

I had to stop a few times on the way home.  The 20 minute trip took me about an hour.  The car doesn't have any air conditoning,  but I had plenty of water,  so I was not in any danger.  The car took more than a litre and so did I!
The following photograph shows Kapunda in the distance (nearly 10 km away) and my destination....


I stopped near the Light River.  
This shed that has had a thatched roof is becoming more and more dilapidated every year... I wonder when it was built.


Today was hot.  It did reach about 44C in Kapunda... and the next two days are supposed to be hotter.  Adelaide is expecting 42... and it will be much more here... and the minimums overnight are expected to be over 30.  This will be hard to manage.  The house is already above 30, and there is nowhere to go... we need a cool spot to retreat to...

My drawing for today is another from the kitchen table....  the fruit from the market... peaches and plums, in the wooden bowl that I found at the Salvos.

1 comment:

Fiona (posts by her mum and dad) said...

I love the drawings. I hope you are keeping them all.

Sorry about the heat. By the middle of winter you'll wish you had put a bit of it in a bottle.

Miss you love you,
Louise