Tuesday, 12 January 2010

Cool weather...

It's interesting to see how everyone is reacting to the sudden cool weather.  It remained hot overnight, and finally cooled to 25C by 8 or 9 in the morning... quite strange.   And then it started raining!  It continues this afternoon,  and the garden is loving it.  I was tempted to photograph the rain, it's so rare,  but that's not easy!
People are all quite tired today.   It's a day for catching up with what didn't get done during the hot days. I have cleaned the kitchen!

And then I went looking for a drawing to add to the collection aftter not doing one yesterday.  It  was my plan to make sure that I do something every day,  but one forgotten day does not a disaster make!

I found this pen and watercolour abstracted cabbage that I did about  a year ago.


 This style has been on my mind because I saw a workshop advertised (pen and watercolour) at the Central Art School in Adelaide.  I enjoy their summer school workshops,  and I'd love to have done it but it happened to be during a particularly hectic week (council commitments) and it was quite expensive.  I'll need to make sure that I'm financially prepared when the winter school is on... just in case that workshop is offered again.... meanwhile I'll keep experimenting with this...

While looking for the drawing,  I found this postcard...




I bought it at the National Gallery when I was there in September.  It is a reproduction of one of these Morandi paintings...

I really like these and their strange perspective.  Morandi used to paint the same pots over and over again... they are recognisable in his paintings.  He must have been rather strange and reclusive...  remaining inside his home all of the time apparently.

And so here is my drawing (no paint,  just water) done this morning.  This is a pottery ink bottle and the medium doesn't do it justice.



I found an old drawing of the same pot...  with watercolour added to the ink...

I must be getting like Morandi!  painting my favourite pots!
I have sold a number of paintings of these same pieces though...  with a flower in them for a "flower" exhibition and painted by candle light when the theme was "light."  Interesting to do, anyway.

(My pictures are getting rather randomly focussed as my camera keeps telling me that I have a lens error.  Never mind... better than none at all!)

No comments: