Wednesday, 6 January 2010

The road to Burra

Today I drove to Burra, a town that is about 1 hour north of here.  I had to deliver some paintings to the gallery there for an exhibition (and pick up some unsold works from the previous exhibition.)  It is a lovely drive.
If anyone is checking the map (I can't save the alternate route, only the main road,  so you'll have to look carefully...  I go via Eudunda and Robertstown rather than the main road, through the Clare Valley (via Manoora and Auburn.)
We drove straight up the road,  but I had in mind to at least have a slower trip back and see what was there...  it's been months since I'd been there!
I love these hills, nearer to Burra than Kapunda,  and very dry at this time of the year....


I have made drawings of these hills before... 

...this one was done some time ago... I did it on the side of the road,  close to where I stopped for the photograph today...  (so hard to pick the spot!)
... and here is another photo from today...  widmill and all!


We detoured to Burra Creek for a few minutes...  just to take a look.  We are so lucky to live close to this...  (and I have painted this also... must track that down and add it here)...


... more water than I'd expected, and lots of birds and wildlife.... 


... including this butterfly :)
Further down the road, past ruined buildings that are rapidly deteriorating from what I can see... we came upon this father emu who was doing his best with seven skittish and crazy "teenage" offspring....  watching him get them all through the fence was better than a David Attenborough story any day... omg!



Further on,  we stopped at a tiny graveyard that I have flashed past many times.  
This made one stop and think...  what Christina might have been like... had she lived  (she'd be nearly 100 years old now)....



... and, in "sheep country," one can only imagine what this little girl's (Gladys) attachment might have been to baby lambs and what her parents might have thought about having a lamb on her gravestone.  She would be 88 by now,  but I wonder about that Christmas in 1926.



My drawing is a bit of a "cheat" for today, as it is one that I did earlier this year.... it is a drawing done as a single line... of broadbeans,  and with watercolour wash overlaid.  I would like to get back to this kind of freedom, and so this "cheat" is more of an inspiration than an avoidance of duty :)

Broadbeans

5 comments:

Fiona (posts by her mum and dad) said...

We're for baby lambs here. So good to see water in the wild. Rivers are so beautiful. Thanks for the update and the pic of the day. Love Louise

Anonymous said...

Very nice pictures. As I have never been to Australia, I enjoyed seeing them. Tim Pearse

Fiona (posts by her mum and dad) said...

I think that gladys would have climbed all over the lamb...I call a moratorium on sad posts...
Love Louise

Jane said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jane said...

It wasn't a sad post really...
I had this image of a kid who might have hung out with the orphan lambs... Cynthia commented that it was more to do with being with the "Jesus" the shepherd... all true, but it was interesting being there... awful grave, but somehow good that gladys is remembered at all.
Gladys is the least of it... there were a lot of younger people buried there.
We are so lucky to be living now... the best time to be around!