Monday, 4 January 2010


Today was beautiful outside.  The temperature was about 32C (90F) and the sun was shining, the birds singing and the vegetables growing as well as could be expected.  I sat outside watching the chickens for some time.  The black one (closest) was having  a dust bath,  but wouldn't let me photograph her in the act!  Some are hiding,  but a few have disappeared.  

One died overnight (the night before last)... she was on the nest,  so she may have been egg-bound,   but I didn't notice, and it's too late now.  Chickens live for about 5 to 7 years (in my experience) though this one was only about 15 months old.  Whenever one dies,  we dig a big hole for it and plant a fruit tree on top... seems to be the way to go.  Tomorrow there is another hole to dig.


I planted some new seeds yesterday.  These are cucumber seeds and kale.  I have watered them well and covered them with shade cloth...  at the far side...

... apparently the weather will be hot again for the next few days (above 35 and up to 40C)  so I will need to organise the covering for the rest of these babies... shelter sheds for the grounds....

I did one more drawing today.  In fact I did some painting also, but  it's the drawing that I like best...


... bottles and ink jars on the table in the sudio... no masterpieces,  but I'm pleased to be keeping up with this resolution.  More tomorrow.

No comments: