Monday, 1 February 2010

Baking day, dead mice, yellow pear.

Today I had the chance to do some baking at home,  while I waited for the washing to dry.  I had decided to make a quiche with a mixture of vegetables from the garden...  we always have plenty of eggs,  of course.  I needed to get some cheese and some cream to mix with the eggs though...  so off I went on the bicycle...  I also called in to the Post Office,  as I was expecting some coffee through the mail.  (I buy organic Australian coffee from a family business in Dalwood,  NSW,  as that is the freshest and most local I can find. That's it in the cardboard box in the basket below.  Here is the whole cargo as it arrived home,  and in the back verandah....
I stopped at the "drive through" bottle shop on my way home.
Then on to making pastry and the quiches... but while I was at it,  I made some sweet astry as well,  and we have a peach pie with the last few peaches that I bought at the market some time ago... these were the ones that needed to sit for a while to finish ripening.
The quiches look a little bit brown on the surface,  but they'll be fine.  I'll keep one to take to the community garden meeting tomorrow.
The peach pie is ok too....
.... and the oven is still glowing too....


We have had some mice inside the house in recent times.  This is the time of the year when they are often plentiful,  as the crops are harvested from the fields and they must be desperate to find a new home... with food.
I used some poison recently and it does appear to have worked.   We have snakes around too,  and they do eat their fair share,  I'm sure,  but the poison has worked and I have been able to smell dead mice for the past few days :(    
I have been burning incense.   It helps....  but not totally!
The final proof that shows that we've had a dead mouse right here in the kitchen is demonstrated by this...
This is photograph of the fly screen in my kitchen window.   When I came back from the shop this morning,  there were about a dozen big fat blow flies trying to get out!  They must have been growing on the mouse remains.  The smell is gone,  and I expect that the ants are finishing off the job.
My drawing... done while the quiches and pie were cooking...
This is a yellow pear that was sitting on a tile on the kitchen table while I was waiting for the cooking to happen.

No comments: