Tuesday, 23 March 2010

Autumn equinox

Yesterday was the day of the equinox,  when the sun was directly over the equator and the days are beginning to get shorter.  
Here,  in Kapunda,  we still have daylight saving :-(  and the weather is still very warm... most days are about 25C - 32C  and there has been almost no rain since before Christmas.   The garden survives with water from the tank (the same one that we use for the household)  so that showers are short and rare,  the toilet is rarely flushed and the silver beet survives on water from the washing up bowl.


I have begun to plant a few vegetable seeds....  beetroot,  fennel,  potatoes and some other winter greens... the broccoli and cauliflowers are doing well,  and I'm still picking a few eggplants, capsicum, zucchinis and so on...
I'm not planting much too soon,  as tiny plants need more consistent watering...  and that's the issue here, of course.  It is easier to plant a few new seeds more often than to put in a whole lot of seeds at the same time... not only is there less of a shock to the watering work,  but just a bit extra every few days is much easier to maintain.  
I have also transplanted the extra broccoli plants that I had resurrected in a styrofoam box  (these were plants that were "dead"  at the local nursery,  but I've looked after them.)  The lettuce plants (also supposedly "dead" are all doing well in the box,  where I'll leave them.  The chicory is nearly big enough to transplant and some of those can move to the open area soon.


As I worked in the garden today,  I saw the first autumn bulbs....
... this is all I saw first... there are actually four flowers here.   These flowers always come up first and then the leaves...   I'll put a picture of the leaves here later.


I went out to the front of the house to see if the ones there are up too....
... there are a lot of them there....
                                                ...... including these in amongst this huge jade bush....
The flowers are beautiful and the honeyeaters love them too.  




The other flower here is still the cactus and these are lovely too.

1 comment:

Fiona (posts by her mum and dad) said...

The flowers are beautiful!
Love
Louise