Tuesday, 16 March 2010

Council, garden and HTV's

I have just arrived home from a council meeting that seemed to go forever...  well.  from 4.30pm until almost 10pm... and I am very tired.   On the way to the meeting I did get some blue thread for the button holes that I need to make tomorrow... about 45 of them!

Earlier in the day,  I had watered the plants that were likely to dry out in the hot dry day... it was about 35C and of course we haven't had much rain, so the soil is very dry....  even the bees are desperate....  this is a small bowl that I fill when I water the vegetables.  It is quite small,  but the birds actually bath in it and the bees carry the water away... drop by drop....
It occurred to me today that I had read comments from people who didn't have many bees.  I wonder whether water might be a way of attracting them.  Not only do they hang around this bowl of water,   but the chickens' water trough is always occupied by bees that seem to be drinking non-stop...  I suppose they are taking it home to the hive.

The rest of the garden is very dry,  but just waiting for the rain to come....  four strips of garden with boards to walk on (so that I don't squash the soil.)  This is the double dug patch...  a bit like separate patches, but these are only separated by these wooden pathways.
... and this patch has dried grass (hay?) spread over the soil to preserve it.  It has worked, and the soil under these weeds is cool and has remained that way all summer...   underneath a part of this, there are artichokes and asparagus that should have survived the summer.
Just waiting for the rain....

Today, my "how to vote"  cards arrived with a courier....
I don"t have people to hand them out everywhere,  but I'll do my best and we'll see how the results are on Saturday night.  Last election I was too tired to do much (I had driven from Kapunda to Pt Augusta and back on the day,  but this time,   I don't think I need to.)  On Saturday I want to stay up and watch the results coming in.

1 comment:

Fiona (posts by her mum and dad) said...

The birds and bees are enjoying my birdbath even on rainy days, I suppose that they prefer something clean and clear to the gutter water of last resort.