Saturday, 27 March 2010

Earth Hour

Earth hour is an interesting idea,  apart from anything else.
The plan is to have ordinary people turn off their lights for an hour,  once a year, to encourage thought about the energy that we (the wealthy) use daily.
The idea is simple enough,  and I understand the arguments for  and against the action,  but I have usually participated in  Earth Hour.

This year,  I decided to turn off the electricity at the meter box,  rather than just the light switches... not that it was such a revolutionary idea,  but that it was easier than running around making sure that all of our lights were off.     I did warn everyone first... there would be no wifi,  internet,  lights,  or tv...  no radio, or stereo... and I would prefer that the fridge wasn't opened either....  so how did it go....

At the minute of 8:30pm when the lights were supposed to go off,  I just got off the phone  (using the wireless, electricity dependent one..  from my cousin with news of a seriously ill relative)  and  I went out to turn the electricity off.

So far so good....  I had warned everyone what I had intended to do.   And so I did....   it's funny that it is the that part of the year when the light is just beginning to disappear earlier thatn we are used to...  the beginning of autumn.   I had assembled candles and my precious oil light and was prepared for the problem of illumination,  but that's not really the issue.   We did have a good time....  it was good to sit around playing silly I-spy games and wondering what other people (the majority of the people in the world who don't have electricity most or all of the time)  were doing at the same time... it may not have been a game to them!

Chris lit these candles....




And there were more....   my oil lamp....
and the stove still worked.....
hard to see in the dark,  but I opened the fire door....  there's a rooster cooking in the pot!
Then I got arty with the candles.... here are a lot of photos and they are really interesting....

... and what beautiful pictures of Chris.....



I think we should have Earth Hour more often.
I should add that we had such a good time that we had the lights of for almost two hours before anyone thought to turn them on again!

3 comments:

Sandy Hay said...

Yes, I think we should hold it more frequently too !

Cerato said...

Great blog, liked the idea of switching off at the meter box .. thanks for sharing your ideas .. we should do it every week!

Jane said...

Someone that I saw online has suggested the first day of every month.