Monday, 15 March 2010

Messy day

The weekend was spent preparing the garden, writing pieces for newspapers (election pieces) and sewing shirts for an order of "work shirts"  for someone who doesn't want to buy Chinese ones!   A very mixed bag!
I also attended a drawing workshop on Saturday, at which I tried pastels for the first time.  I drew a picture from a photograph that I took in Queensland (Northwest Island)  some years ago.... a sunset.
I hadn't tried pastels before and I didn't really have all the colours that I'd wanted,  but I'm pleased with this and I have a few more old photographs that I'd like to make use of.

The shirts are nearly finished.  I have five of them all put together.... just needing button holes and buttons sewn on  (nine on each shirt!)  Here are a couple of practice button holes... getting the size correct... I still need to get matching blue thread!
That will have to wait until Wednesday as tomorrow I have a council meeting.
I had been to Angaston (20 miles away) to get the buttons this morning.  I'd  had to go and sign some paperwork in Nuriootpa anyway, so being half way there,  I bought the half-inch blue buttons in the Barossa. That is the only problem with Kapunda... the drapery has very little fabric or sewing equipment.

I have much of the garden ready to plant,  but it will be hot and dry until Friday (34C tomorrow is expected in Adelaide, so it will be hotter than that.)   On Wednesday I can buy some more gypsum (the Kapunda garden shop ran out of it this week  (that time of year!)   At the end of the week (and it is supposed to rain on Friday, though I'll believe it when I see it!) I'll begin to plant some seeds.    I have started some in a styrofoam box...  lettuce,  broccoli, kale and chicory.  When those are large enough, I'll transplant them.

I picked some vegetables for dinner.  We had kitcharee (known as chickadee by Chris)  made with mung lentils and basmati rice, spices and the garden vegetables.
Here are zucchinis, chinese broccoli, green peppers,  eggplants and jalapenos...  mmmm... and there are leftovers for lunch tomorrow.

It is late and dark outside.
I have left the washing out there,  on the clothes line.
It can wait until the morning!

1 comment:

Fiona (posts by her mum and dad) said...

Keep up the good work! I love the sunset picture. I miss you.
Louise