Thursday, 1 April 2010

Firewood delivery

I do burn a lot of wood.  We collect wood whenever we can and there is quite a lot growing in the yard,  but I buy a load of firewood (about 3 tonnes) each year.  I phoned my firewood man some time ago,  and arranged for some whenever he had some available.  The delivery time is very flexible,  so I try to organise it well before I need it, and there is still some in the back verandah.  This is what I am using currently...
The new load of wood is cut from mallee south east of Robertstown.  The firewood man is a farmer as well,  and he boasts that his place is inside Goyder's line because of a row of little hills close to his place...  out further, to the east,  there is no rain and no cropping.
We got a phone call yesterday to let us know that the wood would be here at 11:30am,  so at 11:29,  I locked the dogs up,  opened the gate and waited about five minutes (he was late!)
The spot to dump the wood was cleared and ready....
... and the truck arrived...  did its u-turn manoevre in the yard and then backed up to the spot....
... right into place....
... and here is Victor opening the new gate on the back of the truck.  The old gate was made of wood,  and caused the truck to be defected as it was dangerous (the wood might fall out and hit a car) but the new gate, which is held in place with tow huge chains,  is apparently ok... it had to be made of metal :-)
The wood looks pretty good.....
...and ready to dump....
... here it goes!  (Notice the new gate from the truck laying on the ground.)
The cleared spot worked really well,  just contained the wood.  There is an assortment of sizes, as I need some for the kitchen stove and some for the living room fireplace which still doesn't have a slow combustion burner (as I spent the extra money that I had on a rainwater tank this year.)  Perhaps next winter (2011)  as I also have some really large pieces of wood that would take a lot of cutting to fit them into any stove...  but they'll fit into the fireplace as it is for this winter.
I also took a photograph of the other wood pile (below)...  scraps and whatever I pick up around the yard.  This is used as kindling,  or as firewood if I only need a quick,  hot and not long lasting fire (eggs on toast?)  but  I'll be working on a rocket stove soon so that I can make the coffee more quickly also.
So, the wood has arrived and we have used about half  of the water since the last time that the tanks were full (early Dec 2009.)   In fact that was the last time that we had much rain at all.  At this rate we should last until July, and surely we'll have some rain by then.  The vegetables are doing well,  adn the chooks are laying... what else could anyone want?

2 comments:

Fiona (posts by her mum and dad) said...

It seems that it was already stacked in the truck, couldn't he just leave the back of the truck for the winter?
No sense in stacking twice.

Jane said...

Mmmmm... he might need it for another delivery? He also commented that he had to buy his weekly supply of bread on the way home... in Robertstown. He lives about 8km out and doesn't get into town often! (I suppose he only drives the truck!)