Sunday, 25 April 2010

Long weekend...

... and it's been a long week as well!
I was at at a local government conference (in Adelaide) on Thursday and Friday.  The conference was wonderful,  with lots of good ideas for our council and many others,  I'm sure.  I still need to write a report for council,  and I've taken plenty of notes... thank goodness,  as my mind was elsewhere some of the time. Chris arrived back in Adelaide in the middle of all of this...  not the best timing,  but I'm pleased to see him nevertheless.

Yesterday we went to see a possible place for a studio where I will be able to paint... even large canvasses! (I have been restricted to small works in recent times...  not only by time,  but by the logistics of dealing with large materials!)  You can see it here but it is even better in real life!  I'm not sure how to manage this yet,  but "where there's a will there's a way" as they say!

A few days ago (before I went to Adelaide)  I planted some garlic cloves in the patch where the herbs are...  more than a dozen of them are up like this already....
... and the green bits behind the retaining bricks are leafy greens from the spice shelf...
I have planted more than another hundred garlic cloves today... nothing to see yet,  but perhaps it won't be long.  I have also planted some onions seedlings that I bought yesterday.   I put some in as seeds about a month ago,  but very few have germinated.  I would have blamed myself for the lack of success had it not been for the fact that the leeks and the red onions sown on the same day have almost all grown.  I think that that particular packet of brown onion seeds might be suspect.
The two rows of onions below are the remainder of the onions that wouldn't fit in the particular spots that I wanted....  they should be a little more lively in the next few days...
... and to the RHS of these onion rows there are two rows of garlic as well.

Down the back,  where I had piled the dried grass from the pathways onto the soil to protect it from the heat,  I have "peeled back"  the mat of germinating grass seeds and chaff.  I can almost peel it back as a whole sheet.  Underneath I found a few artichoke plants jsut beginning to stir as well...
... there are about six so far like this,  and probably more when I remove all of the grass.  I'll weed around the clumps of plants immediately,   but I'll leave the "in between"  bits for a while and turn the weeds over when they are a bit bigger.
The prickly artichoke is up again too (below)...
... and every  year I consider digging it out because it is such a prickly plant,  but it produces the best artichokes!

The jalapenos are still producing too.  I have frozen quite a few so that I just need to pull out one to add to a sauce or soup or stew.  They are already a bit mushy because of the freezing so it is all jsut so easy!

And back again to the same five blood lilies... still growing,  but I can't wait until they get to the huge size later.  The tiny plants around them are stinging nettles.

The kale and broccoli that we are beginning to make use of....
... and the new winter vegetable patch...
... the big plants at the back are broccoli (the plants that were supposedly dead when I was given them)  and in front of the two chimney pots (with celery inside)  are potatoes and beetroot.
All of the rest are rows of onions, swedes, chicory, leeks, kale, fennel, carrots, and plenty of coriander

I should have planted the broad beans today (Anzac day) but sometime this week will do...  the seeds don't know much about the dates really!

1 comment:

Fiona (posts by her mum and dad) said...

Your garden looks so beautiful and green, I wish I was there to do the morning perusal with you.
Love Louise