Tuesday, 20 April 2010

Random bits and pieces

(Actually,  not so random... all in the garden)
I have just arrived home after a council meeting and while I was out,  we had a thunder storm with rain and lightning and wind... it sounded good from inside the council chamber.  I don't know how much rain we had... I'll check in the morning. (ed:  2mm)
A couple of days  ago,  I checked on my five blood lilies in a clump...  at the time,  I was looking at the tiny weeds emerging after the first rain...  stinging nettles!
Just a couple of days later,  the lily leaves were getting noticeably bigger and I couldn't help but think about the shape of the leaves that make a real funnel to catch rain and direct it to the bulb under the ground...   clever little plants aren't they!
The funnels are getting bigger and bigger... and the leaves of these particular flowers end up really huge...  it will be a few weeks yet,  and they will be quite spectacular.

We have atually had just over an inch of rain in the past three months and with water from the tanks and that bit of rain,  along with the lovely warm soil,  the seeds are germinating...  notice the tiny plants in the far patch...  and my wooden pathway so that I can weed the rows.
... onions, swedes, peas, chicory and kale....  with coriander behind....
... and beetroot.



And this is the new,  or at least re-planted herb patch.   Last year I had quite a lot of herbs here,  but the soil was poor and there was no way to maintain the plants during the hottest of the summer months.  I have improved the soil, added a lot of compost and replanted the herbs.   Not much to look at yet,  but I'll keep watching...


These are nests found when I cut down a couple of big branches and the kurrajong tree...  from the left... a sparrow nest,  pigeon of some sort, sparrow,  Murray magpie (made with a lot  of mud) and another sparrow.

The last of the summer vegetables are still happening....  zucchinis,  still flowering...
..... and an eggplant....



I have also been out drawing the chickens again... these are from yesterday....
....  same girls....

....  different pen.

No comments: