Thursday, 8 April 2010

Weeds lead the way

The five blood lilies continue to do their thing... the flowers are still lovely,  but there are also leaves appearing now....
... close-up they look like this...
The tiny seedlings that have germinated all around are mostly stinging nettles....  I'll let them get big enough to make fertiliser before moving them.  You might guess that the stinging nettles would be up as soon as it rained.
 
I'll show the leaves again later,  as they get larger, they are even more spectacular than the flowers!

It is now about two days since we had the nearly one inch of rain and the weather is still warm... the perfect time to plant seeds in the garden.  The information is just as well shown by the growth of the weeds....  here is the grass that has germinated since that downpour....  it must be the time to plant!
Just beside any rocks or impervious surface makes for even more grass/weed growth...   I suppose the extra bit of water is significant...
On my walk around the yard,  I went to see whether the autumn crocuses were "up" yet....  these are the yellow ones (when they flower)  but I can't find the purple ones yet....
... imagine how these bulbs must have been hanging out for some water!

And now to the vegetables....  broccoli in the front (these are the plants that were "dead" and I resurrected them.)   Behind are the patches of newly planted seeds... I have planted a lot more today (onions, swedes, beetroot, fennel, lettuce and carrots, peas and some broccoli.)   The indication from the weeds is enough and the soil is still warm.  I have been reading on various websites questions about when to plant vegetables for the winter... I think it's good to watch the weeds... they seem to do very well.

Later:  up on the roof,  cleaning out another gutter,  but I took my camera...  and this is the view of the closest garden from the roof....
..  and notice the poly pipe hoops that held the shade cloth for the summer... I am thinking about putting clear plastic over it for the coldest part of the winter... a plastic hot-house?

And looking the other way...  the trees on the "street side" of the house....
... nice to see the water heater doing its thing too!

2 comments:

Fiona (posts by her mum and dad) said...

careful on the roof...but the view is great!

Jane said...

I'm careful, and the gutters are clean now!