Wednesday, 26 May 2010

After the rain

Over the last two or three days,  we have had almost 15mm of rain.  It is an amazing feeling.  I have been watering the garden at least every second day when we've had no rain for so long.  I'm using rainwater, and I can sprinkle the plants and make sure that the soil is damp... but it doesn't work as well as a single day of rain!  Perhaps it needs the humidity.  Anyway,  I have ben for a walk around the yard today and it all looks good.  The baby broad beans are doing well.
These are the oldest of them.  There's another patch elsewhere.  The gaps in the rows here are caused by the blackbirds that scratch amongst the mulch and eat any earwigs or other bugs...  but they are hard on  the little plants until they grow a bit.
The baby cabbage leaves are starting to curl around into the right shape...  it's amazing how they know how to do this...
... and the baby lettuces are looking good...
...  and big enough to eat.

The salvia patch is beginning to flower too...  Salvia chamelaeagnea from Mexico
... and this red flowering one that I thought was Salvia microphylla (Huntington) but the leaves smell more like pineapple sage.   The problem is that there are a couple of different plants called pineapple sage, I think.   This is mine....
... I have tried to grow a "pineapple sage"  in the past and it didn't do well.  It had much bigger leaves than this one... hence my thought that this is the Huntington variety.  I have grown these in the past too,  but the leaves don't smell the same... they have a definite "fruity" aroma, so I've been looking up "pineapple sage" plants and find that there are two kinds.  S. elegans (from Mexico) and S. rutilans.  As I was trying to find out about this second one,  I discovered that they are now considered to be the same species.   I think that the leaves are different...  some seem to have small leaves like this plant and some seem to have larger softer leaves.
My original "Huntington"  salvia certainly has a different (spicy/sagey) smell compared with this fruity smelling "pineapple sage"  as I'll call it from now on.

The lavenders are flowering too.  Here are two of them... a French lavender...
... and an Australian one called Sidonie....

And the rue is flowering...
...  I love the smell of this herb, though many people don't.

Around the front...where the garden is more jungle like... or at least unkempt!
... this would be the Buddha of the weeds.  The sour sobs are just beginning to flower...
 There are so many here that I'll never get rid of them.  I do pull them out of the vegetable gardens though.  They are beautiful flowers and they don't last long... they'll disappear as soon as the rain stops.

And here is my favourite rose.  It doesn't have multiple petals,  but it's really beautiful and has a proper "rose" perfume...
... it is supposed to be a "climber"  but so far this one hasn't got far.

No comments: