Saturday, 8 May 2010

More broad beans, and white edges.

I had planted a couple of rows of broad beans a couple of weeks ago.  They are not up yet,  but it can't be long.  I kept seed from last year... it's the third or fourth year that I haven't bought seed and the "local grown" seed seems to do much better.  I understand the theory of local seed saving, and though I haven't done a lot of it (apart from herbs.)    I am convinced that my own broad bean seeds  are much better than the bought ones... I've planted mine with bought ones and mine do much better.   Anyway,  I wanted to plant a lot more seeds this year... broad beans are such a useful vegetable... but more of that later.

I have shown photos of my "tree seat" before and here it is... with the wine table beside it of course...
...  but I had plans for the area and today I have been out there changing things...
... by now it is quite different...  not completed yet,  but here it is... a work in progress...
... and as well,  I have a new broad bean patch for this year.  I am extending my intensive gardening patch.
Digging in this yard is always interesting....  today I found this piece of porcelain...
...  I have quite a collection and one day I will make a mosaic of broken pottery pieces...

I have used more of the white rocks for the boundaries of the new patch,  and many of my garden beds have the same rocks around them.  I hear a lot of criticism of my choice of edging,  but in fact,  there wasn't much choice.  These rocks were here when I arrived.  Someone must have found them to be inexpensive or free... and they serve the purpose with no further expense.  The extra advantage is apparent at the is time of the year... as days get shorter.
As I'm preparing dinner, and need some green leafy vegetables or herbs from the garden,  it's great to go out there and find my way past seemingly glowing white edges to my garden beds...  not elegant,  but very useful.  The new patch has white edges too... free and glowing.

Back towards the house is the regular bits to check on....  garlic.... growing well, and this is only a small part of the crop....
... coriander....  it's a pity that everyone doesn't love this herb,  but we serve it as a side dish with a member of the household (Chris)  who hates it...   I am sure that people either "love" it or can't stand it...
... and this strange apple tree...   still very much a struggling entity....  it has new buds forming before the old leaves fall.   I just think it is too warm here for apple trees.   We'll see.
Tomorrow I want to finish clearing the pathways of weeds...  so much to do,  it's a pity that one needs to think about the political issues as well.

No comments: