Wednesday, 12 May 2010

More weeding

I have been out pulling weeds again... sour sobs,  stinging nettles and grass of various sorts... and I have been checking the vegetables too...
...the beetroot is beginning to form lumps...
...  soon I'll get to thin them and eat the little (sweetest) ones and leave the others to get bigger.  I like beetroot boiled then peeled... still hot with butter on them.  And, as Devon says you can eat the tops as well...  two for the price of one!

The chicory is beginning to form heads...
... these are best after a frost.  I always plant something that is best after frost (though I wasn't confident to try brussels sprouts this year. Without a frost they don't even produce properly,  so with our recent warmer winters I thought I'd try chicory instead.  At least they are there no matter what,  just better after a frost.

Leeks.  We have already eaten a few of these.  Here they are growing with stocks (sweet smelling) among them...

...and the first broad beans are up....
... I even found a tiny "row" of them.

They will soon be big.

No comments: