Tuesday, 18 May 2010

Morning coffee in the garden

I moved my green chair and table this morning.  It had been in a shady spot until now,  but the past week or two have been really cold.  Well,  cold in the mornings and late afternoon,  but warm and cloudless during the day.  The lack of cloud has meant very cold nights too... and a couple of frosts already.  Anyway,  I moved my green chair and table so that I can sit in the sun in the morning with my espresso...
... and the view from the chair is a good spot to see the baby vegetables...
... with my favourite coffee cup...

The potatoes are amazingly healthy plants and all that I could think of this morning was that they are soaking up all of that light energy and turning it into carbohydrates under the ground.  It still seems like magic to see the plants capturing the light so efficiently.  The dinosaur vintage light that is now coal and oil is just as amazing,  but it's a worry that we are using up so many millions of years worth in such a short time,  despite the fact that it took millions to make.  These potato plants are doing the trick here anyway....
... and as for the beetroot,  they make more sugar than potatoes,  but it's all very clever...
... the beetroot leaves look beautiful and they taste good too.

Down the other way,  is this young gum tree.  This is a self sown tree that is only about 10 years old.  The big trees in the yard must be very old.

In the "new" patch where the salvias and lavenders are going, I left the baby bay leaf tree that was almost crowded out by the buddleia that was there previously.  It is looking a  bit the worse for wear...  it has a few leaves that were burned badly in the hot weather...
... but in the past few days,  there are new buds on the growing tips...  new baby leaves.
I took the buddleia roots out from all around it,  and suddenly it is growing.  I hope it keeps going.

Back towards the house...   three rows of garlic...
... two rows of broad beans that are regularly covered with straw by the blackbirds as they scratch for bugs...

The jalapenos are still producing.  It is luxurious to be able to pop a few into whatever you're cooking...
... the borage is trying to flower.  My other borage plants died in November during the heat wave...  they usually self seed every summer.  I hope this can make seeds eventually.  It's in a protected spot.
And the broccoli is nearly ready.  I bought some from the shop recently but it tastes bitter compared with the sweet stuff from the garden...  can't wait!
I hope we get some rain soon though.  Not much to speak of so far this winter.

No comments: