Saturday, 29 May 2010

Rain

Yesterday I drove to Adelaide and back.  It rained all the way there and all the way home...  not good for driving,  but I kept hoping that Kapunda would be getting plenty of rain as well.  I could have unlimited showers and wash the dishes easily.  Having a part of the year with plenty of rain means that, with tanks overflowing,  there's no real need to conserve what we have.  The tanks are not quite there yet,   but already my attitude to water is changing.   This is yet another advantage of being "off the grid" as when we are using Murray River water,  water conservation is a year round issue as long as the "flooding rain"   is being pumped out onto various crops upstream or piped to cities outside the catchment.  No such guilt here... if the tank is overflowing,  one can use the normally precious resource in a truly profligate manner.  I  don't need to time the shower and I can have one every day if I want to.  I can wash the dishes in a deep sinkful, and I can flush the toilet whenever I use it.  Luxury!
Jess doesn't like going out into the cold and wet yard...
... the puddle in front of her,  around the mat,  does run into the verandah (it's downhill) when  it's raining heavily and yes,  there is a pool behind her from the overnight downpour.
I have just been out (between showers) to see how the garden is going.  It's loving the rain!
Some food for dinner tonight.  This broccoli will be the third that we've eaten this week, and it would grow much bigger if I left it,  but,  it's always the same... at the beginning of the broccoli season they are more treasured and later we'll have plenty... so there's not much advantage in waiting.  I'll leave the plants for a while and they'll all produce another lot of side shoots for the freezer.
The first rows of broad beans are doing well in the rain too.
As soon as they produce another few rows of leaves,  we can have the tips for pot herbs.

The whole next patch is looking so much healthier than it does on my artificial watering,  however diligent.
... and from the other side...
... you'll notice that I still haven't painted this end of the house... I need a much better arrangement than a single ladder...  I'd like a proper scaffold!  Notice also the yellow bucket full of "stinging nettle fertiliser."

The newest potato plants have emerged.  There are a lot of stinging nettles for the bucket.
These are the newest broad beans...  there handn't even enmerged a few days ago...  notice how th eones nearest to the iron shed are bigger.  I presume that the soil is warmer where it gets the reflected sun and light...  interesting....
... also a few nettles for the bucket :-)

The new lavender/salvia garden is looking healthy,  despite a few weeds coming up... the newly planted bits are loving the rain too...  the three "Avonview"  plants that I transplanted are even going to flower soon... you can see the fat flower shoots coming up....
... these three plants are chosen for their particular size.  They are an Italian variety that  only grows about 1 metre tall, with those flowers that have the "butterfly wings" on top and a beautiful perfume... perfect for just beside the clothes line.   As soon as they are big enough,  I can pick them as I take the washing in and everything should be pre-perfumed despite not using smelly detergent or fabric softener in the dryer... so strong that it usually makes me sneeze :)

Today I discovered another miracle....
... this is a pomegranate plant that I put there about 18 months ago.  It was too close to a Melaleuca that has since been removed.   I assumed that this pomegranate had died, and I've ordered another plant to replace it.  This morning,  after the rain,  I have found a new shoot...  more thought required.

As I walked back to the house,  I was checking out the various vegetables and bits and pieces...  but look at this!  Some time ago, I showed the blood lilies that were so good at trapping water.  Well,  garlic does the same....
.. another plant that is so good at saving water and a "mediterranean" staple.

Back towards the house and the "summer vegetable" patch (because it is the only part that I water during the summer...  the eggplants are still flowering,  though it is too cold for setting fruit....
... the capsicums are still to flower and fruit....
... and the jalapenos are still producing several fruits daily...
 

I am inside sitting by the fire and keeping warm and dry,  though I can hear water dripping through a couple of holes in the roof.   I've put towels and containers in place, so it's all manageable.  There are plenty of people in the world who would be pleased to be as isolated  as I am from the weather, food production and risky living arrangements.



PS  Home alone tonight, and sitting by the fire....
... warm....

No comments: