Wednesday, 5 May 2010

Winter?

Yesterday was a wild and windy day,  with a little rain,  though it didn't feel cold enough to be winter.  I lit the fire early to bake bread,  so perhaps it was colder than I'd realised.
This morning feels really cold.  (Perhaps my wet hair doesn't help!)  It was dark until after seven o'clock and this morning as I checked the vegetable production and weeded the emerging garlic patch....
... and the oldest vegetables patch...
... and this is all beginning to look good and be quite productive,  it was very cold indeed.
I did get "behind" when I was away in the spring,  but I'm getting things back to normal now.

The jalapenos are still producing.  I should end up with close to a kilo by the end of the season...  many of them in the freezer already,   of course.
... the fruits are developing very quickly... this one (below) has grown with its petals still wrapped around it...   and the plant is still flowering.
The capsicums are still trying to produce also...
.... this one is realy tiny!

Most spectacular this morning though,  is surely the last of the zucchini flowers...
I will be pulling these plants out very soon in order to plant some broad beans.  These aren't even producing fruits any more, but the flowers are lovely....
This one reminded me of a lino print that I made about three or four years ago...
... I like the print too

After I uploaded this blog post,  I realised that it is May 5th....Cinco de Mayo and it is one of my favourite festivals....  and we could buy tamales at the fiesta at Holy Cross church in Santa Cruz  (Holy Cross!)  
I looked up the "foods for cinco de mayo"  google response and it doesn't include tamales!  But there are some really good old favourites!
I think I'll have to plan a Mexican feast for sometime soon... with tamales?

No comments: