Tuesday, 1 June 2010

Garden harvest

I have been busy for a few days, but today I was out this morning (it's not raining) and weeding... still trying to keep up with the sour sobs and the winter grass.  And then I went on to find some food for dinner.
I have been bandicooting potatoes again,  and pulled out six (actually,  I can only see five in the picture, but there are six there somewhere.)  There are also some beetroot thinnings (small beetroots that will cook quickly, be very sweet and allow room for  the others to grow bigger)  and their leaves and yet another broccoli (we are eating it daily now)....

... lots of salad leaves...

... a huge bunch of coriander.  I love coriander (cilantro) and I'll make some "daily chutney" out of it.  I planted plenty as I had thought that Chris would not be here this winter (he doesn't like coriander) so I need to serve it separately.  This kind of chutney can also include other things that you might have... it's called "regional variations" and I like to think my garden is one of those regions and I can use whatever I have available....  today it's coriander and it will be good.
The chickens are still laying eggs, two per day...
I think we could be fairly self sufficient in food if we put our minds to it.

No comments: