Wednesday, 7 July 2010

Cold nights and sunshiny days

The last two nights have been the coldest so far...  frosty mornings and the water pump turns on at night as the thermostat opens the valve on the solar hot water machine on the roof and drains it to prevent freezing damage.  I hear it in the night,  and wonder whether I should go out and turn off the water to the house...  though I don't suppose it matters.  The water runs back down the roof and into the tank again.

We've had very little rain lately....  the city received an inch or so in the past week.  We got about 5mm, though with the cool weather, evaporation is low too, and we do expect some more over the weekend.

In my trip around the yard this morning,  the artichoke patch is looking rather overgrown....
The weeds are mostly winter grass (I piled the dried grass on there to protect the soil last summer) and some stinging nettles (that will make beautiful fertiliser.)  The left hand row are the plants that I separated last year.  They were small last summer and didn't produce as many tops.  Those on the RHS are the ones that I separated a few weeks ago.  I'll let them grow this year,  and the next separation will be the biggest one on the LHS, before next winter.  

(There is a tiny brown mouse trying to cross the kitchen floor (in front of the stove)  but he/she is afraid of me and can't get there!)

Just beside the artichokes is the chickens run....
... and a couple of them are out to see me (I usually throw them a few weeds and discarded vegetable leaves.)  We are getting few eggs at the moment...  short days and cold nights reduce egg production greatly.
We are still eating well, with quite a variety of vegetables....
Broad beans are "on the way"....
... and the jalapenos are still producing peppers,  though much slower than during the summer months.  I have quite a few (about 600g) frozen,  but haven't needed to use many of those yet.

And here are the first of the jonquils flowering.   I have quite a few different kinds, and they flower sequentially,  mostly because they are in more or less shaded areas.  I like the simpler, plain white flowers the best so far,  I think.









Now, back to council work.....





No comments: