Tuesday, 13 July 2010

Cottage garden patch, herbs and bulbs

This patch of my garden is beginning to have a "cottagey" look about it.  It is my "herb patch" in fact,  but it had been a very messy patch with very poor soil until lately.  I had planted herbs there in thepast,  but in the very hot November weather last year (spring is a bit early for a week or more of 40C days)  many plants here died.  Before I replanted this time,  I have dug qquite a bit of compost and soil from the chooks yard into the patch....

There are the usual edible herbs.... parsley, sage,  rosemary and thyme  etc,  but I also have several lavenders,  rue and several other sage varieties also.  In the middle,  there used to be quite a healthy crop of sour sobs and these are so hard to get rid of (they produce lots of underground bulbs annually)  but they are also fairly uncompetitive when there are other plants around... and so I planted mustard.  In the above picture,  the large green leaves around the bulbs are mostly mustard (the cheapest seeds to buy from the spice dept.  of a bulk food shop.

The jonquil bulbs are now flowering profusely here too....  and I still much prefer the simpler "single"  flowers....
The ones with multiple rows of petals are too heavy for the stems....
Jonquils produce plenty of bulbs too.  I move the extras to the "orchard" area whenever I find any...
This is a peach tree (leaves all fallen) with jonquils all around it.  Other trees have similar circles of bulbs,  though there are still gaps...  it's a work in progress.

Today I found this little shoot also...
I had taken some cuttings of a salvia that grows well here.  I didn't have time to take much trouble over these,  but just poked them into the ground where I wanted it to grow, and it has worked!

This row of green tinge is the next row of carrots.  It's necessary to keep on planting as well as picking!  I thinned these yesterday and they are looking pretty healthy, if small!


It is a beautiful day outside... about 20C and sunny.  Rain is predicted,  though there is no sign of it here. The "house" tank is noticeably lower (about two thirds full now) so if it doesn't rain this time (it's been predicted several times lately though we haven't had much at all)  I'll be pumping water from the other tanks again.

The postman has just been.  I have a new seed catalogue!  Time to think about spring already?












1 comment:

Fiona (posts by her mum and dad) said...

I love to see everything so green.