Wednesday, 21 July 2010

Washing day during an election campaign

The federal election campaign is underway.  On Monday night,  I attended a launch of sorts in Adelaide where Bob Brown (Senator, and party leader) gave a speech about current issues,  candidates and campaigning.
I was introduced by Sarah Hanson-Young (Senator for South Australia)....
Here is Sarah (with the microphone) telling Bob about my electorate (Wakefield) ane the candidate for Adelaide,  Bob Brown,  myself, and candidates from several other electorates.

Despite the election, corfluting, writing press releases and a few other obligations, it has been the first sunny day for some while and so, of course,  it's washing day.
This morning I actually did a huge amount of washing, and much of it is almost dry!
These are the last few "heavier" items that are still a bit damp.   But look at the weedy path and the overgrown patches of garden!   There may not be much time for weeding in the next five weeks...  I'm sure that many of the other candidates have someone else to keep up with those things!  It is almost time to start the new plants for spring, but I don't suppose that those things are taken into account when election dates are decided. (Football games  and cricket seasons do effect the choices.)

Meanwhile, in the rest of the yard....
.... the jonquils are doing well.  The leafy plants in front are mustard plants.  I grow them from mustard seeds that I buy in bulk for eating in curries...  the cheapest way of buying seed,  I've found.

On the way back inside,  I checked out these little "lily" plants.  I don't know what they are,  but they grow beautifully when it rains....
.... the flowers are lovely,  though tiny campared with lilies that I'm used to.... up to about 10cm tall....
I picked one to show the shape....  a bit over 2 inches "tall".....
....  lily-like, but I don't know what it is.  I usually "google"  in images to find flowers that I want to identify,  but I can't find this one.

The washing is still not completely dry and I am ironing some of the tea-towels, handkerchiefs and linen to reduce the amount of things that will be suspended around the fireplace overnight.

2 comments:

Fiona (posts by her mum and dad) said...

You would have thought that they might have postponed the election in light of the good clothes drying weather so everyone could get the washing dry.
:)

Helen said...

Hi, I found your blog recently and have enjoyed reading your posts since. I am an Adelaidean too.
The leaves look like Calla or Arum lillies and they do come in purple, but it appears the flower doesn't seem to wrap the same way?
I have plain white callas that pop up down the side of the house. Lucky the chooks leave them alone :)