Sunday, 25 July 2010

Winter in Kapunda

I have been busy with corflutes and paperwork for the election... the blog has been a bit slow :-(  

However,  the garden continues to produce.  Thank goodness!  We have been eating well.   The weeds are getting ahead of me,  but I have been vigilant in the actual vegetable beds...  the other areas look lovely and green with sour sobs and winter grass.  The only justification for this might be that I can compost the organic material produced!

It is sunny and relatively warm outside today (for July, that is....  currently about 15C outside.)

The broad beans are beginning to flower and that is pretty amazing because I will be planting some more in the next few weeks....  all of my broad beans are grown from my own saved seed and most of it is this kind.... with black and white flowers (originally var. aquadulce).....
....  but last year I grew some red flowering ones.  I kept the seed from those plants separate,  but look at this....   there has been some cross pollination by the bees and this plant has to be heterozygous and the red flowers must be dominant....
... not quite out yet,  but I'll be interested to see how the flowers turn out....  stripey?  or plain red?

Nearby,  a native snail.  If I find a foreign snail or slug,  I always give them to the chickens,  but I feel a bit different about the native ones... they were here before these foreign vegetables,  and who knows what else might be dependent upon them.  They don't eat much....
This one is sitting on the leaf of a swede plant.

And there are other flowers coming along also....  coriander...
... borage....

... and these pink flowers whose name escapes me (I should remember!)

The jalapenos are still producing,  though in the cold weather,  they grow much more slowly.... the Q10 rule again....
... and we'll soon be eating cabbages....  there are about 10 or 12 here....

Today's basket of food from the garden....
beets, spring onions, leeks, carrots, broccoli  (all side shoots now) and some fennel....
.... on the kitchen bench and still not washed....
..... and that doesn't include the three eggs that I collected from the chook yard.


No comments: