Sunday, 15 August 2010

10.5 mm of rain and gusty winds

I listened to the rain on the roof overnight.  I couldn't hear it running into the tank because the window was closed against the cold and the wind,  but I could imagine it.  We had our biggest "single day"  rainfall so far this winter... and about time....  we had 10.5 mm.  I was thinking about those potatoes just planted in the patch out there.  Of course,   I went out to see how it all looked this morning.  The wind is still blowing and the clouds are rushing past towards the North-East....  meaning we are still getting that cold South-Westerly wind gusting around the house.
There's nothing to see where the potatoes are planted (of course)  but I had to look anyway.  I did go to see how the broad beans, restrained by the blue string, had survived the wind....
... all looking good....
... and that single red-flowered specimen is right there.

The celery is back to looking rather sparse after yesterday's soup.
I have been using the "uncloisetered" ones (on the right hand side of the chimney pots) when I need just the flavour,   but I used quite a bit yesterday and lifted the chimney pot to cut some long stalks.

Nearby,  there are onions and some garlic and a bit more broccoli.  The red leaves in front are the transplanted  endive that are my backup plant in case of frosty weather... though we haven't had such cold nights this year.  The days have been colder than average, but the lowest temperatures at night haven't been so hard.
There are, from the rhs,  two rows of onions,   two rows of garlic and then a row of broccoli.  And these (below) are my three main rows of garlic.  I gave them some good soil,  some seasol every now and then and they have had some stinging nettle fertiliser before the weather was too cold.  I'll give them some more on the next warmish weekend.  I am hoping to have enough garlic to last us for twelve months or so.

Inside again,  and I decided to check the rose that I've had in the plastic bag.  It is looking healthier than ever...
... a couple of leafy shoots are growing, and I may have one of those lovely rose bushes one of these days.  Once it grows bigger,  it should be pretty hardy.  It is a cutting from the one that I found on the sie of the road near the Nain Hills as I inspected a property for a Development Application that came to the council.  And this little plant began as the rose on the kitchen table....

No comments: