Sunday, 22 August 2010

Election results and my neglected garden

I have been out to the poor neglected garden this morning. I should be taking the corflutes down... from here to Pt Wakefield...  but I am having a day off.   The law requires that the election signage is taken down within 48 hours,  but that's almost impossible here without the "cast of thousands" employed by the big parties.  My results are not qite final yet,  but it appears that my electorate has the biggest swing to the Greens of any in South Australia....  I received more than 11% of the vote, and the biggest swing to the Greens in the state.  The Labor candidate won.

The garden is looking neglected and a bit the worse for wear.  I have been picking the vegetables as they are ready during the election campaign but the weeds, grass and sour sobs mostly, have taken over the pathways and the various corners of the yard.  There is much to do.  This is what happens to a garden path when you leave it for a few weeks during the rainy weather....
And this is the pathway to my tree chair now....
... the pile of mess in the middle is the outer leaves of lettuces and stray stalks of coriander that I threw there as I harvested dinner.
I have potted on the tomato and capsicum seedlings....
...  I did that this morning and these will be left in these pots for a few weeks until the weather is reliably warm...  no frost risk.
This is the most recent patch of potatoes...  pontiac and coliban....
... and yes, there is plenty of weedy grass in thte background (I think of it as potential compost or chicken food)  but eventually this garden bed will be extended, though probably not this year.

Back in the productive patch....
...  there are flowers that have taken over and so far I leave them until I need the patch for something else.
My favourite black kale is doing really well.... probably because I haven't raided it.....

Walking back towards the house....   the newly planted carrot patch is not up yet,  but the remains of the cabbages that we have been eating remain in the patch...
... more cleaning up to do!

Now to my bonus for the week....  a boronia plant....
.... this has been my indicator of spring for many years, and this is my "third time lucky" plant that I have tried to grow.  These are an Australian native, though it grows in a wetter climate than here,  but more importantly,  in more acid soil.  I have tried to grow such a specimen here twice before,  but they eventually died and I am sure it is a pH problem.   This time,  I bought some "azalea/camelia" soil and replaced quite a bit of this little spot.  I also added some organic compost that seems to do everything good,  and I am hoping for "third time lucky."    

PS  These photographs are rather fuzzy because my camera finally "spat the dummy" and I took these with my phone!


1 comment:

Fiona (posts by her mum and dad) said...

My second times a charm boronia plants are still alive after six months with me. I will try the azalea mix for them this autumn so that the spring might be fragrant here too. I love the smell of boronia and how i have worried over those damn plants!